logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Icy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:56:42 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I happened across this article and the number 10 way to dystroy Earth is to just wait until "Earth suddenly, simultaneously and spontaneously cease[s] to exist." It goes on to say that the odds of this happening are a googleplex to one. Now, I don't remember the exact number that Yada came up with for the odds that life spontaniously occured, but in relative terms it is no different than the odds of this happening. Yet, most of those that have faith that life occured spontaneously would laugh at the idea of the Earth ceasing to exist spontaneously. The author in the aforementioned article calls the idea, "utter, utter rubbish". Funny thing though, they have a link at the bottom of the page for the top 10 creation myths, with the Judeo-Christian as the number one (I guess saying it makes less sense than the 9 that come before it). Oh the ignorance of people.
Offline J&M  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 7:57:38 AM(UTC)
J&M

Fred Hoyle - eminent (atheist) astronomer and mathematician of the 30's worked out that the chances of spontaneous existance of life was 1 times ten to the minus 40,000 - which works out to 1 in one with 40.000 noughts after it.

this is like finding 1 particular bit of data on a 30 thousand gigabyte drive

Fred's figure is however, disputed, and it may be as much as 50% wrong - perhaps only 5 followed by 39,999 zero's....

One can only smile at the 'willing ignorance'

Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 1:03:25 PM(UTC)
kp

Hey, it could happen!

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

kp