logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:45:09 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

A friend has asked me to help understand how a loving God could permit those who revere Him and seek to serve Him faithfully to suffer after experiecing blessings. In this case a fellow who went from being worldly and a heavy drinker, and near to suicide, and as a last act turned to Messiah. He felt empowered to give up drinking and worldly habits and otherwise transform his life proclaiming the Good News and testifying what his Savior did in his life. Lately he's been struggling with mental health issues that have resulted in him struggling to function or remain clear headed.

I first thought of the book of Job/Yob as an example of one who knew fellowship and blessing from Yah only to later have that protection and blessing removed for a season. We know after seeking answers among his associates that he seeks answers from Yah and finds his answer not in reasoning but rather experienced fulfillment in his seeking by experiencing renewed fellowship.

I've read other apologetics on this question, but I'd love to hear your thoughts?

Edited by user Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:45:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:45:28 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm not a doctor or anything but sometimes our past catches up with us and the damage we've done to our bodies begins to set in, but that's if a person's previous behaviour merited such consequences. Or, maybe, as you said that it could be a trial of some sort.

Let's see what others on the forum say.

But nevertheless, I am reminded of Psalm 103, "As a father has compassion for his children, So Yahweh has compassion for those who fear Him." And the rest/whole of the psalm is adequate. We deserve a lot worse for our sins but He is compassionate enough to save us from our crookedness.
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:19:53 PM(UTC)
kp

Our mortal lives were never meant to be permanent, pain-free, or devoid of work or responsibility. They are, rather, opportunities to learn, to grow, to mature---to choose to walk with Yahweh or do something else. Even before Adam fell into sin, Yahweh gave him a job to do in the garden (and then gave him a wife to help him get it done). We tend to think of pain as a bad thing, but at its core, it's a gift: it teaches us to avoid injuring ourselves. Sometimes the feedback loop is more or less instantaneous: "Don't touch the stove; it will burn you." Sometimes it's more subtle: "That coughing you did with your first puff (and the pretty green color you turned) were telling you not to smoke cigarettes; they'll damage your body in the long run." A primary symptom of one of the most dreaded diseases known to man (leprosy, a.k.a. Hansen's Disease) is that the sufferer can no longer feel pain, and as a result, tends to suffer more injuries, and more severe injuries, than he otherwise would.

But the phenomenon of pain and suffering is far more complicated than that. In my experience, suffering can in itself be the preparation we need to do the job Yahweh has prepared for us. When my wife was young---in her twenties and early thirties---she had four knee surgeries and various and sundry other operations and experiences requiring hospitalization. She's a godly woman, and so it always seemed a bit unfair to me. But then we started adopting children---and not just healthy kids, but some real basket cases. By the time we got to that point, she had learned a depth of compassion and empathy for suffering kids that few people would understand. In short, her pain had prepared her for the job God had for her to do, and she did it well. In fact, without health problems of her own, she wouldn't have had a clue what those kids were going through.

We have a choice: we can either bitch and moan when things are not perfect in our world, or we can thank God for the opportunity to prepare for whatever He's got lined up for us next. It's our call.

kp
Offline Tiffany  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 5:37:23 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

I would say I agree with the fact we have a choice, everything comes down to the good or the bad choice and no matter what we face consequences (good or bad). Some are instant others are well not, Theo is the case of your friend it appears they are not instant responses to his choices.

I have in the last few years felt like I have had my fair share of hard thing happen to me and now I feel like I am on the up hill from it but that does not make my everyday frustration seems any easier. I just choose from today forward to thank Yah for his willingness to bless me and allow me to have another day to breath. I know I have to chose everyday to be thankful despite what might happen because it’s always easy to blame god when our lives suck, when really it’s our own fault.
Offline Icy  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 5:47:59 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

I wonder what it is that makes people want to blame Yahuweh (or "God" in most cases). Does it have to do with our culture and its total lack or responsibility for oneself? Is it the way we are raised?

I wonder this because (and I don't say this to brag), as far as I can remember, I have never once blamed Yahuweh for anything bad that has happened in my life. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I've had my fair share of issues as well, most dealing with my wife. Even when I was in the military and she left and started talking about divorce (and I had no clue as to why) I never thought to blame Yahuweh, instead, I turned more toward him. After our baby was born and my wife became psychotic, again I did not even think about blaming Yahuweh. And, with our most recent incident (which I've already related), again I never thought to blame Yahuweh, instead I talk to him more.

So, for me, it is hard to understand exactly why someone would blame Yahuweh or even have to fight the urge to. Where does that come from? It seems to me that our society refuses to accept responsibility for our actions and choices. But, they don't hesistate to take credit for the good things. I am just the opposite, I take responsibility for the bad things that happen based on my choices, and if I had no control over (as with my wife's health) then I see it has some other factor (another person's choices, the evironment, etc). But, when something good happens, or I do well, then I thank Yahuweh and give him the credit. I don't count, but I know I thank Yahuweh many times every day, even when bad things happen.

What makes that difference?
Offline Theophilus  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 10:11:40 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I want to thank everyone for sharing your wisdom. I can certainly see the sense in what KP mentions in terms of phyisical pain being a beneficial to avoiding pain and temporal in nature. That bad choices often carry negative consequences even delayed ones. I'm not really sure of a delayed link between giving up an alcohol addiciton and depression or other mental health problems. I like Icy's comment about not blaming Yahuweh for the painful experiences we encounter. To address his question, I think there is a temptation to blame one who has the ability to intervene for a precieved benefit and does not do so in a manner one might desire.

We agree that choice is essential for relationship. The aspect that is less clear to me being conditions that deprive an ability to make sound choices such as alzheimer's, dementia, severe brain damage, Downs syndrom or other similar conditions. I think in the earlier cases so long as a person at some point has an ability to consider creation and seek the Creator choice has been afforded. When this is not the case, I suppose it would be like the still born child whose soul would sleep / dissipate without oppurunity to choose.
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:51:23 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

While I was writing my initial post I was going to say that you, Theo, should maybe ask KP for wisdom on this situation but I didn't want to put him on the spot, nevertheless he responded to the topic very quickly and spoke from experience he has seen his wife go through, which prepared her for adopting children with disabilities.

I have been learning to realise that any suffering I do is for a greater reason, unless of course self inflicted, but even then I try learn from my mistakes.

I once disobeyed my father after warning not to touch the red hot stove, needless to say the consequence was as expected :) I was very young then, I remember it well, it's not something I willfully want to experience again.
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:28:01 AM(UTC)
kp

Theo spoke of people whose handicaps preclude them from making rational choices. And yes, the "default" position for non-choosers is dissipation---a form of mercy as often as it is an acknowlegement of tragic waste. But two of my adopted children were "profoundly retarded." One achieved only the mental acuity of a normal two-month-old in her ten years on this earth; the other never got beyond "newborn" IQ---she lived to the age of three. Though Jill and Molly never had the chance to "choose" anything (which if the two-door theory were correct would have sent them to hell, I suppose), I don't believe dissipation was their fate either. Maybe it's a stretch, but I believe these two little ones were set apart to God by the relationship their parents (Gayle and me) shared with Yahweh. The evidence? "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy." (I Corinthians 7:14) Can I read into this that the child of a believing parent is accounted as "holy" until---and unless---they choose not to be? I seem to be on solid ground here, but scripture has so little to say about it, its hard to be dogmatic.

kp
Offline J&M  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:17:04 AM(UTC)
J&M

I hope this might help.

When Moses was asking YHWH to reconsider the destruction of the Israelites after they rejected the findings of Joshua and Caleb (Num 14:29),
YHWH commuted the sentence so that only those under 20 yrs of age would enter the land.

I may be mistaken but I have always understood that from 20 was the age of accountability in ones own right. Until that the parental units had/have a considerable influence!!!

Jane
Offline kp  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:49:10 AM(UTC)
kp

Good point, Jane, though it's something of an extrapolation to apply the cut-off age of twenty to a universal "age of accountability," especially since entering "the Promised Land" is not a picture of going to heaven, but rather of commencing the life of a believer---the battles begin when you cross the Jordan. I have another adopted daughter who's twenty-five, but whose mental age is about six. I don't know how one could classify her.

The "age of accountability," as a universal principle, doesn't seem to have much (if any) scriptural support. Rather, it seems to be a man-made invention promulgated to deal with the disastrous ramifications of the two-doors theory. More to the point, there is no scriptural evidence that suggests automatic entrance into heaven for children (of unsaved parents) who die before a certain age. All of the data suggests that dissipation is the default destiny---neither punishment nor blessing, just a return to nothingness.

That being said, there does seem to be an "age of responsibility," as you rightly pointed out, before which a child is not held responsible for what goes on in his world, including his own decisions or vows, however foolish. The Torah, in fact, allows the dissolution of any woman's vow by her husband or father (whichever's roof she lives under) on the day he hears of it (See The Owner's Manual, chapter 6, Mitzvah #206). The "woman" in this case represents all of us who are under Yahweh's authority and protection. (If we recognize no authority but our own, our vows stand, no matter how stupid they are.)

kp
Offline Lucretia  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:02:12 PM(UTC)
Lucretia

Icy wrote:
I wonder what it is that makes people want to blame Yahuweh (or "God" in most cases). Does it have to do with our culture and its total lack or responsibility for oneself? Is it the way we are raised?

I wonder this because (and I don't say this to brag), as far as I can remember, I have never once blamed Yahuweh for anything bad that has happened in my life. It hasn't even crossed my mind. I've had my fair share of issues as well, most dealing with my wife. Even when I was in the military and she left and started talking about divorce (and I had no clue as to why) I never thought to blame Yahuweh, instead, I turned more toward him. After our baby was born and my wife became psychotic, again I did not even think about blaming Yahuweh. And, with our most recent incident (which I've already related), again I never thought to blame Yahuweh, instead I talk to him more.

So, for me, it is hard to understand exactly why someone would blame Yahuweh or even have to fight the urge to. Where does that come from? It seems to me that our society refuses to accept responsibility for our actions and choices. But, they don't hesistate to take credit for the good things. I am just the opposite, I take responsibility for the bad things that happen based on my choices, and if I had no control over (as with my wife's health) then I see it has some other factor (another person's choices, the evironment, etc). But, when something good happens, or I do well, then I thank Yahuweh and give him the credit. I don't count, but I know I thank Yahuweh many times every day, even when bad things happen.

What makes that difference?

I wonder why you would say this person is blaming Yahuweh at all. That's something I don't see in the oringinal message. Only that the friend is wondering why suffering is allowed to exist in the world. That does not automatically mean that one blames something, or someone for their troubles. Only that they are coming to terms with what they are undergoing.

As to why suffering exists, perhaps this will help.

"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ which is far better.

Nevertheless to remain in the fless is more needful to you."

Philippians 1:21-24

Death is the end of our suffering and the begining of our eternal rest in Yahuweh. But - for as long as we are on this earth our suffering is not for nothing. There is a purpose for us being still in the body - otherwise we would have been taken. Our suffering can change us, create a whole new person - for better or worse. It shapes who we are, and brings us closer to the divine. Through this renewed union we can touch the lives of others.

Yes, some days it may seem easier to wish for that eternal rest - but there are others that need us - who have been given to us to help.
Offline kp  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 3:53:32 AM(UTC)
kp

Well said, Lucretia. And welcome to the forum. You observed, "Our suffering can change us, create a whole new person - for better or worse." Yes, and it is the nature of our relationship (or lack of it) with our Father Yahweh that shapes the way we handle adversity. People who don't know God invariably blame Him for their troubles. But the converse it true: as Paul wrote, it is His kindness that leads us to repentance.

kp
Offline Icy  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 5:21:31 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

What prompted me to ask that question, Lucretia, was not the original post, but what Tiffany said:
Quote:
because it’s always easy to blame god when our lives suck, when really it’s our own fault.
Offline Lucretia  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 8:18:46 AM(UTC)
Lucretia

Thank you kp.

Job suffered when he had done no wrong. Somethings just happen, regardless of our actions. The only time fault plays a part here is if we chose to run from them.
Offline Mike_Browell  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 8:00:50 PM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

Peace and Love Everyone,
"Time and chance will befall man" Proverbs?

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell
Offline bitnet  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:46:38 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello All and welcome Lucretia,

There are laws set for us, both spiritual and physical. In addition there are also the laws of the mind: what you think you tend to attract. The law of consequences also apply for whatever matter. Laws govern everything, including some things that we cannot control reasonably, for example, genetics or black holes. Things are just the way they are, and sometimes because someone did something in the past the consequences are happening now. Many times we just cannot cope with the problems that challenge us because it is all just too much. We ignore the laws of health in our youth and pay for it later in life. Our parents ignore the laws of health and the children pay for it as well. If the laws of fiscal prudence is flouted, you can be sure that it will come back to haunt you or your beneficiaries. What are we supposed to do? On our own we cannot respond adequately. We have to respond to each crisis positively through the power of the Set-Apart Spirit. It is immensely challenging sometimes, and that is when people lose faith. But faith is the evidence of things unseen, and that in itself is a challenge to understand. As humans we tend to choke at the direst moments. But now with the knowledge and power of Yahushua, we can arrest our emotions and try our best to let Him live through us, thereby letting His power shine forth.

I know that this is very difficult, but this is the way of the world today. We sought the knowledge of good and evil (not just Adam and Chawah) and Yahweh gave us some instructions (which we ignored) and sent us on our merry way to do as we please and to realise that there are consequences for every action and thought. Eventually, we shall realise that we have to arrest our thoughts because it is usually our thoughts that bring disaster. That is why sometimes in our darkest moments, when we cry out for mercy to our Creator, He soothes and calms us and prepares us by calming our thoughts first. He already knows what is going to happen and is always ready to help, but we need to ask first. Sometimes the laws also demand a price, and we lose property or loved ones and it hurts badly, but it is not His fault: it is our ignorance of the laws that govern everything around us. Our bond is mortality, and our error stems from our thoughts first, which is why we have to get our thoughts under control. Can you imagine if you were given the power of Yahushua and you had thoughts of unrighteous anger, the damage that could happen? "That idiot cut in front of my car dangerously, wish he were gone!" or "I told her no pickles and she still put it in my burger, does she need elephant ears?" That is why we were warned about being angry against our brother, let alone being angry against the One who can really help us out of our problems here on earth.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline yeshuaslavejeff  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:21:00 AM(UTC)
yeshuaslavejeff

Theophilus wrote:
A friend has asked me to help understand how a loving God could permit those who revere Him and seek to serve Him faithfully to suffer after experiecing blessings. In this case a fellow who went from being worldly and heavy drinker and near suicide to as a last act turn to Messiah. He felt empowered to give up drinking and worldly habits and otherwise transform his life proclaiming the Good News and tesitfy what his Savior did in his life. Lately he's been struggling with mental health issues that have resulted in him struggling to function or remain clear headed.

I first thought of the book of Job/Yob as an example of one who knew fellowship and blessing from Yah only to later have that protection and blessing removed for a season. We know after seeking answers among his associates that he seeks answers from Yah and finds his answer not in reasoning but rather experinced fulfillment in his seeking by experiencing renewed fellowship.

I've read other apologetics on this question, but I'd love to here your thoughts?

without aplogtics,
it is known simply
nutritional deficiencies cause most known dis-eases, including especially mental unclearness to bipolllar.
According to Scripture, the dunglords have deceived the whole world, including practically all churches(I've been kicked out of churches for bringing up the KNOWN CURE FOR LEUKEMIA and pointing out that the AMA BURIED IT (can't patent it) UNDER ORDERS FROM THE DUNGLORDS.

The nutritional aspects of health are totally overridden by spirituals - in an instant possibly.
The physical is subject to the spiritual - faith can literally move or remove staggering obstacles.

Still, the CURE for every dis-ease has been known since before 1950, then the dunglords made the CURES ILLEGAL
because they can't be patented (they're all NATURAL AND INEXPENSIVE).

Accne, auutissm, Luukeemia, beast cncr, arrrthritiis, diabbbbtes, addddd, -hd, skkkin cncccr, poooor visssion,
dannndruf, hiiiiii bud pessure, shhhhinggles ..... ALL CURABLE, DECADES AGO, NATURALLY, inexpensive.

People are so deceived, they often won't even SEEK and ye shall find-their brain trusts man instead of Yahweh

email or post questions for the known cure for anything.... even dowwwwn s. sYdome.!
Offline glory2glorious  
#18 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 8:56:56 AM(UTC)
glory2glorious
Woman

Just a thought .... But for life's sorrows, and all of those misfortunes that just don't seem to make sense, what would any of us know -- or come to learn -- of what it is to feel compassion? What reason would there be for such as compassion? What lessons would life have taught us, and well enough, that we might reach out, through our own experiences with which to offer comfort to another, and if but by some mere shimmering of hope that can be seen, in our own having once clung so desperately to what shreds of our faith was left us, at the time, and yet that which might be seen in the present is that by God's grace we survived. And so, having once suffered, even as surely as each of us have, we are given a responsibility to reach out as servants of Yahushua Messiah.

just me

Love is far more "that" which one does, rather than it is something one merely feels.
Offline Theophilus  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 9:43:58 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Hello and welcome to the forum glory2glorious. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Quote:
Love is far more "that" which one does, rather than it is something one merely feels.

I think love is composed of both; as heart attitudes usually preceeds and generates heart actions.
Offline BiynaYahu  
#20 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 10:44:25 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Peace everyone,

Theophilus wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum glory2glorious. Thanks for sharing your insights.

I think love is composed of both; as heart attitudes usually preceeds and generates heart actions.

I agree brother, but take it a step further. The actions matter in that they are evidence, but it's the "feeling" love toward our dad and each other that causes the actions. So, while actions do not cause goodness, there is no such thing as faith without works because if you do not have works your "faith" is a hypocritical lie. I think that in 2000 year old greek your faith is dead means exactly the same.

May abba Yahuweh elohim bless you all in insight,

Mike Browell
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline glory2glorious  
#21 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 12:37:03 PM(UTC)
glory2glorious
Woman

;-) Made ya' think, huh? Blessings! Thanks for the welcome, as well. I'm a long time student of Yada Yahweh/POD, and have had the absolute honor of coming to know one or two of you, in days gone by. It's been a while, however. So though you, Yada, Ken and where exactly is Robin? -- have been out of sight you've not been out of mind and most certainly not far from my prayers.

Hummm ... now there's a point to ponder. Heart attitudes -- but of course, those would be the attitudes of a heart right with Yahweh, huh? Much love.

me
Offline Yah Tselem  
#22 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 12:46:56 PM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
kp wrote:
Theo spoke of people whose handicaps preclude them from making rational choices. And yes, the "default" position for non-choosers is dissipation---a form of mercy as often as it is an acknowlegement of tragic waste. But two of my adopted children were "profoundly retarded." One achieved only the mental acuity of a normal two-month-old in her ten years on this earth; the other never got beyond "newborn" IQ---she lived to the age of three. Though Jill and Molly never had the chance to "choose" anything (which if the two-door theory were correct would have sent them to hell, I suppose), I don't believe dissipation was their fate either. Maybe it's a stretch, but I believe these two little ones were set apart to God by the relationship their parents (Gayle and me) shared with Yahweh. The evidence? "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy." (I Corinthians 7:14) Can I read into this that the child of a believing parent is accounted as "holy" until---and unless---they choose not to be? I seem to be on solid ground here, but scripture has so little to say about it, its hard to be dogmatic.

kp

KP, 2Sa 12:23 says “But now he is dead, why should I fast? Am I able to bring him back again? I am going to him, but he does not return to me.”(scriptures version) Doesn't it appear that Dawid was saying that he would see his infant child again in heaven when he said " I am going to him"?
PS- I agree with your stance that the little ones are set apart to God but I'm not sure if it is only because of the parents relationship with Yahweh or if it is all of them who are set apart. I don't disagree, but I'm not sure they would be dissapated since they didn't get a chance to choose. It's such an interesting subject. We lost a child due to complications in the 1st couple months of my wife's pregnancy a couple yrs ago and I do believe he/she is in heaven. If you're right then I am safe because he/she would be there because of mine and my wife's relationship to Yah.
Offline glory2glorious  
#23 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 5:21:59 PM(UTC)
glory2glorious
Woman

If I most humbly might, Theo, kp -- indeed I do believe that children are set apart to God, at least up to the age of accountability as is taught in Judaism, and which is at what age? 13? Isn't it even written in the Psalms that God Himself knits us together within our mother's wombs? Isn't it written that He knows our innermost beings before we so much as take our first breath? Didn't Yahushua say that it would better for one to have a millstone tied around his neck and his body thrown into the deepest part of the sea than for anyone to cause one of the "little ones" to sin? How attentive He is regarding children, and this isn't contigent upon whether one is born whole or what the world deems abnormal. How could anything that God creates, such as a child, ever be considered less than a miracle? And of course, there are so many more Biblical references, regarding children, that one need not wonder, for surely it seems clear.

You guys are really pulling at my heartstrings here, even inasmuchas it is that I have a disabled child, and one whom I consider no less than a gift! I stand in awe of Yahweh, even on a daily basis, to think that He found me worthy enough, trustworthy enough, to care for this most defenseless one, and for as long as He (God) has determined that he (Stephen) shall live, and everyday and every month through each passing year that he does live, that his heart doesn't fail him, is no less a gift! But even more than that, I get to take part in God's purpose for him, which has thus far been to educate people who might otherwise abort or abandon such as him! Because there is Stephen so many unborn babies have been given a chance to live and in one way or another bless those around them.

Please forgive me, as I may tend to get lengthy, but God never does cease to amaze me, and one of my most favorite things to do is to share in the wonder of HIM! So if I may continue ... regarding the above post by Theo, regarding his friend. Can you tell us more about him? Is he on any meds? Does he have a chemical imbalance? Are there particular tests or trials going on in his life? Or perhaps he's having a reaction to a prescribed medication that's adversely affecting him?

I come from a long line of alcoholics, and have seen the devastation. My mother was an alcoholic, and dead at but age 34. She so played games with God, through the last few years of her life spent fighting cancer. One moment she'd be on death's door and begging God's mercy, and the next she'd be out the door, to the amazement of her myriad of doctors who couldn't imagine how it was she'd survived! God's mercy. But no sooner than she would make such a miraculous recovery than she would be off to the bars and the men again. I need a moment here .. to reflect ...

I sometimes think God must have taken her while He yet had her -- in one of her repentent states, and while the three of us -- however orphaned -- were, for the first time in a very long time, safe, warm and dry. I want to talk about this a bit too, inasmuchas it was so very much God who made right so many horrible wrongs, and made even all of the horrors so very worthwhile.

As I mentioned, previously, upon her death the three of us were orphaned, but God moved within the heart of my brother's teacher who, along with his wife, decided to move their own three children over and us in to their home. In order to do this they had to move literal mountains, for all of the legalities involved. He was a mere teacher and they did have three kids of their own. We would all need beds of our own and so many other things. For a long while there it was one Washington State courtroom after another, but eventually, if only temporarily, they were allowed to keep us, but not to adobt us, as the state found it in our best interest that we be placed with family. Neither the Wilson's nor the three of us had any say in the matter and family was found, albeit in another state, California, and nevermind that we barely knew them and that for the first time in our lives we would be separated, to boot, which was like death to me, being the oldest and more like a mother than sibling. Taking care of my brother and sister was all that I knew. Well, that and God. I knew Him then, too.

To make a rather long story short, we weren't allowed to stay with the Wilson's and so off we went, to California to live separate and apart, and for a very long time it didn't make much sense to me, but I had no choice but to continue to trust God to know what He was doing in our lives even if it didn't make sense (and was quite painful and frightening besides) to me. Many years later, upon contacting the Wilson's who I yet hold very near and dear to my heart I came to realize God's purpose in everything, which is to say that though we were the Wilson's first foster children we were most certainly not their last! After the three of us they went on to take in more than 160 frightened, lost, abused abandoned children such as we were, and I well understood then that but for the three of us, that would never have happened. But for the three of us, and the fact that we weren't allowed to stay, there wouldn't have come to be those so many other children who couldn't have been but blessed to have been so loved and cared for by the Wilson's. So though we may have hurt, and so though we may have been frightened, and so though we were not allowed to remain together I can so clearly see and praise God for His higher, all knowing, purpose, and there is not so much as one moment that I would change. Not one.

No, He does not ever cease to amaze me.
Offline kp  
#24 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 6:52:54 PM(UTC)
kp

Yes, Yah Tselem, I'd forgotten about David and Bathsheba's child. The incident demonstrates that the children of at least one godly parent who die before having a chance to choose are accounted as if they had chosen the godly parent's path. This, of course, is precisely what Paul intimated in I Corinthians 7:14. What we need to bear in mind is that "Door #2"---dissipation---is an incredibly merciful fate; it's not "hell lite." To cease to be after living a life, short or long, indifferent or innocent, in which no real choice was made concerning divine relationships cannot be construed as "punishment." It's no worse a fate (in fact, it's precisely the same) than any animal suffers when it dies: the soul departs, leaving a lifeless body, but an immortal spirit was never part of the equation, never a component of the person's psyche. So for a child of believing parents to be awarded heaven if he or she dies prematurely is nothing short of a miracle of mercy: it's a gift not so much to the child (though it is certainly that) as to the parents!

And g2g, I heartily agree that children are special to Yahweh, that He holds in special contempt those who would lead them astray. But I find no basis for an "age of accountability" in scripture. As far as I can tell, it's a myth invented to try to cope with the obvious impossibilities of the "two-door" theory. You must be a special lady. It's my experience that Yahweh doesn't entrust precious people like your Stephen to just anybody. By the way, welcome to the forum. Nice post.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#25 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 10:33:28 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Welcome to the forum, glory2glorious, and may you be be blessed with the Set-Apart Spirit in your search for Truth.

Shalom All,

A fascinating and engrossing thread! Having lost a brother at age 39 and both parents to disease, and seeing the affliction of cancer, diabetes and myriad other diseases and accidents on family, friends, acquaintances and strangers, questions like these are bound to arise.

In my experience, despite the sorrows and challenges, I have always contended that these things teach us and help shape our character. The unholy trinity of "I, me and myself" eventually gives way to thinking of others and their circumstances, and the role of the Creator in all of this.

All I can say is that we are on a burning cruise ship (we started the fire) that has lost it's Captain (we sacked Him for being a party-pooper) and which is beginning to list into the water. We've been told by the experienced Captain to abandon ship and get into a lifeboat. If we believe Him we follow His instructions. Those remaining on the ship fall into five groups: those who still think the ship will not sink; those who think that there are enough lifeboats and time to get in and are in no particular hurry whilst they stay to fight or observe the fire; those who are panicking and diving into the water; those who know of the fire but are trying to find safer spots on the ship to survive fearing the small lifeboats in the water; and those who are completely unaware of the problems facing the ship.

Since we believed the experienced Captain and have gone onto the lifeboats, we can coax people onto the lifeboats despite our own fears, worries and losses. It's nerve-wrecking as the heat from the ship's fire is becoming unbearable, the water is freezing cold and the presence of sharks are not helping.

At least we are safe, and we now can reach out our hands to those in need. Putting our immediate concerns aside to save others is what matters now, and we have to shout out loud to be heard over the mayhem that is ensuing. There will always be time for grief in between saves, but each new person on the lifeboat is cause for rejoicing.

However, there are still those who blame the Captain for all the problems, forgetting or ignoring the fact that it was some of us who set fire to His ship while we partied with wild abandon in the first place!

When we look at the pain and suffering the Captain endured for us, our losses pale into comparison. He was not only the Captain but also the cruiseline owner and this is His flagship, and He sees the people onboard as His family despite being sacked by most of them. For each of our personal loss, His grief is multiplied severalfold as everyone could have been like family members to Him.

If we remember He volunteered to give Himself up and endure so much pain for us, we should be thankful that we have not lost as much as He has. It was in giving Himself completely that He saved us, and by focusing on others rather than self we can do better with our lives as well and cope with our pains.

We leave the lives of the lost innocents in His care as He will certainly know what to do with them. As for the unrepentant firestarters, we also know their sad fate, and we trust that He will deal mercifully and graciously with each one of us who are remorseful and have distanced ourselves from the firestarters. We will do better in His eyes if we had tried to reach out to people in all the five groups rather than keep the lifeboats to ourselves.

Pardon the above story but it is somewhat a reflection of how I am coping with loss in my life.
Offline glory2glorious  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:52:31 PM(UTC)
glory2glorious
Woman

O, bitnet! How dare you say, "Pardon the above story..." would you mind if I shared it, knowing so many who need to hear it!

"At least we are safe, and we now can reach out our hands to those in need. Putting our immediate concerns aside to save others is what matters now, and we have to shout out loud to be heard over the mayhem that is ensuing. There will always be time for grief in between saves, but each new person on the lifeboat is cause for rejoicing."

How glorious is this?

And this:

"In my experience, despite the sorrows and challenges, I have always contended that these things teach us and help shape our character. The unholy trinity of "I, me and myself" eventually gives way to thinking of others and their circumstances, and the role of the Creator in all of this."

All of it really! It even so aptly describes the very heart of me, and i thank you for it, bitnet. i thank you. Non-capitalized "i", indeed.

blessings,
me

Offline bitnet  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:09:51 AM(UTC)
bitnet

G2G, you can always use any story on this site. I am far from perfect but I am comforted with His presence and His people here. So you are good-to-go now that you have been here. Wait till you see the lighter side of me. :-)
Offline Yahshuaslavejeff  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:18:49 PM(UTC)
Yahshuaslavejeff

"
A friend has asked me to help understand how a loving God could permit those who revere Him and seek to serve Him faithfully to suffer after experiecing blessings. In this case a fellow who went from being worldly and a heavy drinker, and near to suicide, and as a last act turned to Messiah. He felt empowered to give up drinking and worldly habits and otherwise transform his life proclaiming the Good News and testifying what his Savior did in his life. Lately he's been struggling with mental health issues that have resulted in him struggling to function or remain clear headed.

"

The symptom is or looks like m.h.issues.... (as arbitrarily determined by a wicked society)...

The root is simple when found, (and always denied by the [worldly]'authorities'(who know nothing!)).

If someone trusts the world, ... ... ... it is nothing; empty; vain; idolatry?
Offline Bridget  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 3:24:36 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:

Just a thought .... But for life's sorrows, and all of those misfortunes that just don't seem to make sense, what would any of us know -- or come to learn -- of what it is to feel compassion? What reason would there be for such as compassion? What lessons would life have taught us, and well enough, that we might reach out, through our own experiences with which to offer comfort to another, and if but by some mere shimmering of hope that can be seen, in our own having once clung so desperately to what shreds of our faith was left us, at the time, and yet that which might be seen in the present is that by God's grace we survived. And so, having once suffered, even as surely as each of us have, we are given a responsibility to reach out as servants of Yahushua Messiah.

just me

Love is far more "that" which one does, rather than it is something one merely feels

It may be "Just a thought.."...but it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Offline rootlight  
#30 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:55:37 AM(UTC)
rootlight

Just because he changed his life and gave up drinking the effects of that drinking will still manefest because of the laws of nature. Yes he has turned to his savior, but he must still suffer the consequences of his worldly actions.

He is forgiven, yes, but forgiveness does not mean a complete phyiscal transformation.
Offline Michael Dinofrio  
#31 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 12:48:24 PM(UTC)
Michael Dinofrio

Shalom Suffering Servants,
I know that until about May, I begged Yah to end My Life. He responded by leading me here.
The Adversary is P.O. ed that we have peace. So trials WIll Come!!! The apostle Ya'cob i believe said to Revel in adversary. I know that this to shall pass.

Keep Your Chin Up!!
OUR FATHER HAS OUR BACKS!!
Matzati Et She'Ahava Nafshi
Offline bigritchie  
#32 Posted : Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:57:46 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

I think I can address part of the overall problem.

And part of it is this: When we go and look in the mirror, we think that body staring back at us is in fact us. When in reality that body is nothing more but a biological genetic spacesuit that houses our Soul/spirit. Nothing but a strange Sukkot to interact with this reality for a while.

Just as many teenage boys with say a brand new Corvette, would begin to Identify with the car, or as the car.

Scientist are finding out now that the brain is in fact a computer designed to be run by a spirit. And this Spirit drives the body. The problem is as human beings we think we are the "Car" (As a side note this delves into possession as it is simply a spirit driving your car). It is very much like when we ask a person "Who are you"? and they say "I am a engineer". A engineer is what they DO, it is not who they are.

As for pain, suffering, and all the nastiness of planet earth. Realize 2 things

#1 Satan is the mighty one in charge of planet earth right now, he holds the title deed.

#2 This world is a Illusion, a training simulator, you will have strange things happen to teach you lessons in life. 80 years is not alot of time to get someone ready for eternity hehe.

When a person "Dies" the moment that spirit leaves the body, the body utterly starts decaying. So bad things such as "Deaths" in the family, I very much equate on about the same level as someone for instance "Logging out of world of warcraft" and bad things happening (that are not caused by our own stupidity I might add) as nothing more then a "Quest" to gain "Experience and level up"

Anyways, I am probably rambling and not making much sense.

Just realize life is a train ride, and a roller coaster. There will be ups and downs, but just always keep in mind it is nothing but a train ride and a roller coaster, and the down are all part of the ride!

Stuff that we think is utter horrible now, and that shatters our reality, we will probably laugh about one day in Eternity.
Offline kp  
#33 Posted : Saturday, July 3, 2010 9:02:50 AM(UTC)
kp

We "guys" and our car metaphors. In the book I'm working on, here's what I was thinking about how the body, soul, and spirit work together...

Quote:
If I may use another of my dumb automotive metaphors, the soul (the psuche) is like a car’s mechanical components—all the stuff that enables it go, turn, and stop. The spirit (the pneuma) would then be comparable to the driver—the one who directs and controls all this going, turning, and stopping. And the body (the soma) is the package that contains the soul and accommodates the spirit. Each of these components has its own function, and one could say a car isn’t really fulfilling its destiny or purpose without all three. Yes, the mechanics are the essence of the automobile (just as a living soul is the essence of a man’s being) but a car’s existence is pointless if there is no one to drive it (or if there is no reason to drive it—no destination). And the body? It isn’t just for looks: its form follows its function. The sheet metal and glass direct the wind (feel free to take that metaphor and run with it); the controls and gauges allows the driver (the spirit) to communicate with the car (the soul); and the operator’s environment is specifically designed to facilitate the interface between the driver and the automobile. In human terms, it’s the place within the body where the spirit speaks to the soul. In Hebrew, you’d call that the neshamah—see Genesis 2:7.

Where a car goes is entirely dependent on will of the driver. Our body and soul go wherever our spirit directs. So we need to be aware of who is in the driver’s seat. There are three options. If Yahweh’s Holy Spirit is driving us, then our destination is heaven and our path is God’s love. The street lights and road signs along the way are the Word of God, and our safe arrival is assured by the heavenly escort—Yahweh’s angelic host.

If we ourselves are behind the wheel, however, we’re in trouble, because we don’t really know where are, where we’re going, or how to get there. (The same thing would be true of the wholesale surrender of our will to another human—some charismatic figure like Muhammad or Hitler, perhaps—to whom we might foolishly assign our allegiance.) At the very best, life under human control is a pointless joyride; at the worst, it’s a journey into terror and death. But either way, we’ll never reach our destination: we don’t even know where we want to go.

Option three, however, is by far the worst. If we allow Satan to drive, he’s going to take us straight to hell with him.

Forgive me if I seem to be stretching this metaphor beyond the breaking point, but consider this. It’s the body that accommodates the spirit. These days, some high end cars have the “ability” to keep unwanted drivers from getting behind the wheel: fancy locks, ignition kill switches, biometric identity verifiers, and so forth are used to keep people from driving the car who aren’t supposed to—even the owner, if he’s too inebriated to drive safely. In the same way (sort of) it is the function of our bodies to determine who we want driving the vehicle of our eternal destiny. That is, the choices that ultimately determine our spiritual destination—deciding who is going to be in control of our lives—must be made in our mortal flesh. The responsibility and privilege of choice is the central reality of the human condition.

kp