logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Y777  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:22:46 AM(UTC)
Y777

First of all, let me say that I believe, with the current knowledge that I possess, that it is in fact His name. I realize as well the importance of Him having a name and us using and revering it.

My question is, what proof do we have that it is?

Basically, I know that the DSS manuscripts have the 4 Hebrew letters YHWH (Yod-Hey-Wav-Hey). I also know that Hebrew uses vowel pointins to know what a word means (say "fire" versus "woman," etc.). The DSS does not possess those vowel pointings, so how do we know that (Yahweh) is how it is pronounced?

Also, I was told that Hebrew does not have a "W" sound in it. By two separate sources. Is this true or not? If it is true, how do we then get away with pronouncing His name the way we do? If it isn't true, what letter makes that sound, and why is there a misconception that Hebrew doesn't have a w sound?

Thanks.
Yahuweh is faithful and loving beyond my thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, and petty human notions of what constitutes right and wrong. So high does He soar above all things that I do not even know if proclaiming Him as good is in fact good. It is certainly not adequate. So I am thankful still that He accepts my small sacrifices, my petty praises, that my words reach His mighty ears. Thank you Yahweh. May we all learn what is right in your sight, and not our own.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:40:59 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Swalchy did a good little bit on this on his website.

http://www.thewaytoyahuweh.com/research/ha_shem

I am sure myself we don't pronounce it 100% accurately mainly because Hebrew isn't normally spoken by a Northen English bloke who can't even speak English properly. :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline edStueart  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:38:57 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Robskiwarrior wrote:
am sure myself we don't pronounce it 100% accurately mainly because Hebrew isn't normally spoken by a Northen English bloke who can't even speak English properly. :)

...and to quote Sir Winston: "The English and the Americans are a people separated by a common language."
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Y777  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 8:15:40 AM(UTC)
Y777

Okay, so what I have gleaned from Swalchy's website is this:

1. The 4 letters which make up Yahweh's name are all voweled consonants. And this means they don't need any vowel pointings to tell us how to pronounce them, because the letters themselves tell us how to.

2. There isn't a "w" sound in Hebrew, but an "oo" (as in "boo"), and since we don't stop and pronounce each syllable individually, but say sounds back to back (essentially), we transliterate Yahweh's name thusly because it almost gives us a "w" sound, or rather, that is simply a good way to try to get the sounds across in english.

Am I right?
Yahuweh is faithful and loving beyond my thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, and petty human notions of what constitutes right and wrong. So high does He soar above all things that I do not even know if proclaiming Him as good is in fact good. It is certainly not adequate. So I am thankful still that He accepts my small sacrifices, my petty praises, that my words reach His mighty ears. Thank you Yahweh. May we all learn what is right in your sight, and not our own.
Offline lassie1865  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 10:13:24 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Unbelieveable. I received this link from my Catholic friend concerning the Name:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1013.htm#article1
Offline sirgodfrey  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 11:44:44 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I believe the most probable pronunciation is Yah-oo-wah.

Yahuwah is closer than Yahweh from my research.
Offline SWest  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:03:56 AM(UTC)
SWest

These comparisons are interesting regarding the NAME of Yahuweh and Yahushua.

Mat 25:1 “Then the reign of the heavens shall be compared to ten maidens who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2 “And five of them were wise, and five foolish.
Mat 25:3 “Those who were foolish, having taken their lamps, took no oil with them,
Mat 25:4 but the wise took oil in their containers with their lamps.

Son 1:3 For fragrance your oils are good. Your name is oil poured forth, Therefore the maidens love you.

Ecc 7:1 A good name is better than precious oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.

Any thoughts, or am I reading too much into it?
SWest
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:05:56 AM(UTC)
kp

Good finds, SWest. If any symbolism is implied, these passages would indicate that the Name of the Holy Spirit (who is symbolized by oil---see Zechariah 4) is Yahweh. It's another nail in the coffin of the "God in Three Persons" theory. Yahweh is One.

kp
Offline kellyj994  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:56:21 PM(UTC)
kellyj994

Robskiwarrior wrote:
Swalchy did a good little bit on this on his website.

http://www.thewaytoyahuweh.com/research/ha_shem

I am sure myself we don't pronounce it 100% accurately mainly because Hebrew isn't normally spoken by a Northen English bloke who can't even speak English properly. :)

Thanks you for the post.

#10 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 1:46:22 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
lassie1865 wrote:
Unbelieveable. I received this link from my Catholic friend concerning the Name: link

Even after all the thousands of similar pieces I have encountered over the years, I am still shocked at how utterly stupid are those who present themselves as highly educated authorities and imminent thinkers. I suspect that the demons with whom they will be sharing eternity mock them continually from their unseen quarters.

Thanks for sharing the link, Lassie1865.

Richard

Edited by user Friday, November 26, 2010 8:13:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Chrestucian  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:07:31 AM(UTC)
Chrestucian

flintface wrote:
Even after all the thousands of similar pieces I have encountered over the years, I am still shocked at how utterly stupid are those who present themselves as highly educated authorities and imminent thinkers. I suspect that the demons with whom they will be sharing eternity mock them continually from their unseen quarters.

Thanks for sharing the link, Lassie1865.

Richard

(Sarcasm)And if not, we'll mock them from right here. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! (Sarcasm off)

You lament the thousands of times you've seen it, then mock, and thank the person that brought it to your attention again. I am REALLY new here, and many will say I've overstepped my bounds, but I've got to say, this kind of post turns me off badly. Attack the words! Don't attack the people.

Quite honestly flintface, I don't see you as measuring up to what you present yourself as either. I believe the word you were looking for is eminent rather than imminent. Surely they could be imminent thinkers, but that won't come to pass if the instructors starts the class by calling them stupid.

From http://blowthetrumpet.org/WhatdoesRacamean.htm
Quote:

Question:
When giving the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, “Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” (Mt. 5:22). What does “Raca” mean?

Answer:
“Raca” is an Aramaic transliteration for “reka,” a term expressing contempt, scorn, or disdain. The Greek word “rhaka” means empty, vain or worthless one, signifying a lack of intellect (i.e. Imbecile or blockhead). It is only found in Matt. 5:22. The Jews used it as a word of contempt. It is derived from a root meaning, "to spit."

Just sayin'
Offline FredSnell  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:33:39 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Welcome, C

I can vouch for FF. I've had private conversations many times with him, and in my ignorance of things, not once has this man held a condescending attitude over me, of little knowledge.. He's been very consistent letting me know where the answers I seek are found in scripture. I know he thinks less of those that plaster their, "sheepskin" over their shoulder on the wall for all to marvel at. So I think he was more than likely being, "sarcastic" like you suggested.
Offline Chrestucian  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:06:18 AM(UTC)
Chrestucian

Thanks eH,

I've been to ff's website and read a lot of his writing. And yes I would agree he is learned on many points. Though the previous post is numbered as my first, the first was actually deleted. I had written G-d in a context that was as lame as the thinking that brought that nickname into use, and he called me on it. Has G-d now become the sacred name which can not be written? I find it encouraging that you vouch for ff, yet my initial contact has been less than stellar.

As I said I am new here, and quite honestly I'm not sure I'll stay. In many ways my belief/knowledge meshes with the message of YY. Yet I find here on the forum, those that I can only define as Name Nazi's. And yet that doesn't really fit because in other places they sound like toddlers repeating "dad dad dad dad dad dad." It's a sacred name! Surely the traditions of the Jews didn't put it out of use because they were afraid or embarrassed by it, but rather because they didn't want to besmirch it.

We believe we know something the vast majority of the Christians don't. Yet the one wildcard we don't know, and please Lord forgive my use of that word, is Yehushua. He can wash your feet and make them clean! He can see inside of you. And I believe it was prophesied that his healing message would be preached to the world. For the most part Christianity has been, but not the message that YY brings. There are those within Christianity that are honestly aware of the broken state man, and are honestly searching for the forgiveness promised. And they know their scriptures, and quite possibly have even had difficulty reconciling the words of Paul, as I did. Are they to be discarded?

Is it possible to love someone without knowing their name? Yehushua said love Him with everything, love them as yourself. Will those who do that be cast into the furnace because they were deceived about the name?

I honestly believe there are some here who would have me cast into the furnace because I don't use enough Y words.

I'm just rambling. I'm sorry!
Offline FredSnell  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:38:08 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

I hope you stick around, C. I think ppl like you offer alot, if not more at times than some do. We are all on the path of learning and I know that gets redundant, but I feel for certain it's true. And really, I'm not offended with you thinking others or myself included, as "name nazis." I have so many stories that I don't even mention them bc ppl might think I'm fabricating them just bc of my constant involvement of recognizing my Fathers path, and discussing it with others. I have ppl from my past just showing up out of no where, and I know it wasn't bc I was just thinking on them. I feel it's bc He wants His name manifested and made known in these dark days coming. So I seek Him now in the Torah. I feel like all of my answers are there and I can find them with honest effort and His help. As far as "christianity" I never was a fervant believer. So my answers are only those I know now are true.
Question to you. Have you given YY a complete read through? The author is in the work of a revision, but still the old YY makes its case to the reader.
Offline tagim  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:01:51 AM(UTC)
tagim
Man

Yes, C, I, too, hope you stick around. By staying, what you will find are truth seekers. Most have come from avenues of false teachings and are upset at having been deceived for most of their lives. You might say we are starting from scratch, but as little or much we have learned, one rule is cardinal - no deception no more, as "...call me ba'al no more." First and foremost, anyone who takes a moment to check will find our savior's name has been bastardized, as have most biblical names. Then, the question you must, or should ask yourself, is all, most, or some of this deception intentional? Surely, an honest answer is yes. It is that thinking which drove us here, keeps us here and focused. We do appreciate new members to this growing family. Now we grow slowly, but surely; one year soon we will grow rapidly, like an explosion and that is because millions will see and learn what we perceive. We simply want to stay on the right track, in the right train. At the least we know all we need to know rests in the TPS. After that, it's an experiment..

So yes, come, express your views, criticize 'till your heart is content out of love and honesty. You will not and should not suffer here for it. Here the Scriptures are supreme, no exception to the contrary.
Offline Chrestucian  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:28:52 PM(UTC)
Chrestucian

Thank you eH & t, your supporting word are truly welcomed.

I've gotta say I'm embarrassed. flintface please accept my apology. It shouldn't've been a thing. I've got this rare condition where sometimes something small might catch in my craw, and it'll fester until I choke it back up. Then I'm OK until I look back where it landed. The doctors say it'll probably kill me someday. I've got no animosity for you. And please, if you see me getting out of line say so.
Offline FredSnell  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:49:56 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

No problems here, Chrestucian. You have that same, "rare condition" we all suffer with at times. Rest assured, after you come to understand Yahs way (Torah), it ebbs in time. I like to think like this at times when my own reasoning is off base, and it works for me. God could have given understanding to a tasmanian devil, and left us out of the picture as just dumb animals without knowledge. Shouldn't we just be thankful all the time he included us animals, instead of those animals.
He did let Moseh, (Moses) free us from bondage so we can be enlightened in His Word and join with Him in the covenant relationship.
Offline Richard  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:13:18 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Chrestucian wrote:
flintface please accept my apology. It shouldn't've been a thing. I've got this rare condition where sometimes something small might catch in my craw, and it'll fester until I choke it back up. Then I'm OK until I look back where it landed. The doctors say it'll probably kill me someday. I've got no animosity for you. And please, if you see me getting out of line say so.

The name is Richard, and who am I to take offense at anything?! Besides, you were absolutely correct about my use of the word imminent when what I meant was eminent. As for sarcasm, I like it. Eliyahu used it against the prophets of Baal when he taunted them. "Where is your god? Maybe he's asleep. Or maybe he had to go to the bathroom!" Now, my use of it does offend some, including my own wife from time to time, so I can understand if you are put off by it. And for that I am the one who owes the apology here, not you.

Can't we all just get a loan? No, wait ... that's not what Carter said ...

Richard