logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sator  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:39:42 AM(UTC)
Sator

Looking for a little help finding what the original text is of Exodus 6:3

King James:And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

God almighty, JEHOVAH

NAS: and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, LORD, I did not make Myself known to them.

God almighty, LORD

BHS: w(r( (l-(brhe (l-ycxq w(l-y)qb B(l $Dy W$my yhwh l( nd)Ty lhe

El,YHWH

LXX: kai wfqhn prov Abraam kai Isaak kai Iakwb qeov wn autwn kai to onoma mou kuriov ouk edhlwsa autoiv
mine from lxx:And I appeared to Abraam and Isaak and Iakwb The god I AM himself, and this name I lord did not declare to them

quov wn (The God I AM), lord (title not name)

As you can see all 4 miss the mark and cause confusion throughout all covenant reading peoples. This is one of the verses where Yahweh clearly demonstrates that he was known previously by El but the name YHWH is him. But it is not 100% defendable without something unaltered.

If someone can link to a parchment etc.. i can figure it out myself but it may be a good practice for anyone with interest to review.

Sator

Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:10:58 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Sator, I see your request for early parchment for this verse?

This should exist in the Dead Sea Scrolls. According to Dead Sea Scroll Bible most of the verse exists in these sources.

DSS: "Therefore say to the children of Israel, 'I am {the LORD / YHWH*} [and] I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an [outstret]ched arm, and with great judgements."

Source Notes: Exodus Chapter 6. 4QExod.h 6:3-6; 4QGen-Exod.a 6:4-21,25; MurExod: 6:5-11; 4QpaleoExod.m 6:25-30

Author's note: "we have been consistant in translating the Divine name by following the practice of the Revised Standard Version and the New Revised Standard Version (i.e., the LORD for the Hebrew YHWH, and the LORD God for YHWH elohim)."

While not providing the interlinear or scroll images this source is usefulin determining what passages exists and from which source documents. I hope this helps.