logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FF  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 2:14:26 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

So which transliteration are the scriptural form or followers of Yah, Yahhuwdym or Yahhuwdite's?
FF
Offline YY  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:18:45 AM(UTC)
YY
Man

Yahuwdym is the English transliteration of the plural of Yahuwdah, meaning "related to and belongs to Yah." Either the singular or the plural work as an identifying name for those adopted into Yahuweh's family. Most English bibles use the corrupted transliteration "Jew" or "Judah" for Yahuwdah.

The "ite" ending is English, and not a Hebrew sound, and thus shouldn't be part of a transliterated name.
Offline FF  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:45:18 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Thank you for your reply. I see and understand after your explanation. I like being a Yahhuwdym…

FF
FF
Offline Jim  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:40:36 PM(UTC)
Jim
Man

Dito FF, I like belonging to Yah too!
Offline Koos  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:50:59 AM(UTC)
Koos
Man

What about "yahoo"???!!!
Offline FF  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:44:19 AM(UTC)
FF
Man

Koos,

Yahuweh if we break it down by sounds is something like Yahu is Yahoo and weh is like way or Yahooweh when really excited to be found in his family.

FF
FF
Offline FF  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:46:40 AM(UTC)
FF
Man

Koos,

Yahoo is more like a regional slang. Once you are in Yah's family you go around saying YAHOO!! YAHOO!! YAHOO!!

FF
FF
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:23:59 AM(UTC)
kp

Yeah, can't you just see David leapin' and dancin' through the streets of Jerusalem shouting "Yahoo!" at the top of His lungs? 'Course, some folks are always going to look as us overly-excited Yahudym (okay, so it can't be spelled correctly) and react as Michal, King Dave's prissy wife did. As for me, I'm perfectly happy being undignified in God's presence. I mean, what're we gonna do? Impress Him with our somber demeanor? Yahoooooooo!

kp
Offline Joe  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 3:39:11 PM(UTC)
Joe

I've read here and there that "Yahoo" was a derogatory term for Jews/Yahuwda. In particular, I recall that it was mentioned that the Romanized Christians used it commonly like people may use Kike today, and have heard mention of Muslims referring to Jews as Yahoodee within the last couple of centuries.

So, I am not offended by the term, just as I am not offended by being called a Geek. However, I do believe that both terms are similar in how they initially were created to be offensive.
Offline FF  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:39:30 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Joe,

I had not heard that Yahoo was a derogatory term to the Yahuwda.

Here is what I found.

Yahoo! began as a student hobby and evolved into a global brand that has changed the way people communicate with each other, find and access information and purchase things. The two founders of Yahoo!, David Filo and Jerry Yang, Ph.D. candidates in Electrical Engineering at Stanford University, started their guide in a campus trailer in February 1994 as a way to keep track of their personal interests on the Internet. Before long they were spending more time on their home-brewed lists of favorite links than on their doctoral dissertations. Eventually, Jerry and David's lists became too long and unwieldy, and they broke them out into categories. When the categories became too full, they developed subcategories ... and the core concept behind Yahoo! was born.

The Web site started out as "Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web" but eventually received a new moniker with the help of a dictionary. The name Yahoo! is an acronym for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle," but Filo and Yang insist they selected the name because they liked the general definition of a yahoo: "rude, unsophisticated, uncouth."
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/misc/history.html

Dear Rabbi,

What does the word "Yahoo" mean in Hebrew? It is used commonly as part of a name.

Dear Mr. and Mrs.,

The Hebrew word Yahoo (or Yahu) is a name of G-d. It is commonly found at the end of people's names. It represents a Divine attribute added to the name. For example, Yeshayahu (Isaiah) means "G-d's redemption," Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) means "Fear of G-d."

I sometimes wonder if the internet company Yahoo! became such a major success simply because G-d likes the name they chose!
http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/283/Q1/

FF

May need to reconsider the use of Yahoo
FF