logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Marcus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:52:21 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Is there amplified scripture and commentary anywhere in Yada Yahweh.

1 Samuel 18:10–11 (ESV)
10 The next day a harmful spirit from God rushed upon Saul, and he raved within his house while David was playing the lyre, as he did day by day. Saul had his spear in his hand. 11 And Saul hurled the spear, for he thought, “I will pin David to the wall.” But David evaded him twice.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:43:04 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
that's gonna make some awkward moments at dinner...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Marcus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:24:41 AM(UTC)
Marcus

LOL.
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:48:01 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I'm assuming the part that is seeming out of place to you is the harmful spirit from God, I know that is the part that stuck out to me.
The word for harmful is ra'ah which means most accurately Evil. So it would be an evil spirit from God. I don't know about you but the idea of an evil spirit coming from God is a bit unsettling, and doesn't make sense when verse 12 says that Yahuweh was with David. On the surface just looking at it i would say it may be possible that the word evil should be applied to God and not Spirit, thus the spirit of an evil god came upon Saul. My Hebrew grammar is not great, so I don't know for sure if this is what it says or not. Also the word for Spirit is Ruwach, the word usually used for the Ruwach Ha Qodesh, I'm going to look and see if anywhere else the word Ruwach is used in relation to a spirit other than Yahweh's. The Hebrew is ruwach 'elohym ra'ah So if anyone knows Hebrew grammar better than I, if you could tell me if "spirit of an evil god" would be a grammatically correct rendering.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Marcus  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:14:18 AM(UTC)
Marcus

James wrote:
I'm assuming the part that is seeming out of place to you is the harmful spirit from God, I know that is the part that stuck out to me.

The word for harmful is ra'ah which means most accurately Evil. So it would be an evil spirit from God. I don't know about you but the idea of an evil spirit coming from God is a bit unsettling, and doesn't make sense when verse 12 says that Yahuweh was with David.

James wrote:
the surface just looking at it i would say it may be possible that the word evil should be applied to God and not Spirit, thus the spirit of an evil god came upon Saul. My Hebrew grammar is not great, so I don't know for sure if this is what it says or not. Also the word for Spirit is Ruwach, the word usually used for the Ruwach Ha Qodesh, I'm going to look and see if anywhere else the word Ruwach is used in relation to a spirit other than Yahweh's. The Hebrew is ruwach 'elohym ra'ah So if anyone knows Hebrew grammar better than I, if you could tell me if "spirit of an evil god" would be a grammatically correct rendering.

I saw the same thing and I figured the title 'elohym was being given to the wrong spirit but I am in the same boat with Hebrew grammar.
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:51:04 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Well I was focusing on the first part, and didn't look at the latter, but the word translated and he raved is naba, which is the Hebrew word for to speak as a prophet, to speak by divine power, to sing as if seized with divine impulse. it can mean to act as if mad, but according to Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon that is usually only in reference to false prophets, and has to do with the fact that while they were giving there prophecy, they would often, "act like madmen vehemently agitated, and spasmodically distorted."

So for the raved translation to be accurate, it would have to be the spirit of an evil god.

Unless someone can show me why it isn't accurate, I'm going to say that the spirit of an evil god came upon Saul, causing him to act as a false prophet, and attack David.

Offline Marcus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:15:58 AM(UTC)
Marcus

I like you deduction but that does not clarify the other two passages were it does not say 'elohym but YHWH

Quote:
1 Samuel 16:14–18 (ESV)
David in Saul’s Service
14 Now the Spirit of YHWH departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from YHWH tormented him. 15 And Saul’s servants said to him, “Behold now, a harmful spirit from God is tormenting you. 16 Let our lord now command your servants who are before you to seek out a man who is skillful in playing the lyre, and when the harmful spirit from God is upon you, he will play it, and you will be well.” 17 So Saul said to his servants, “Provide for me a man who can play well and bring him to me.” 18 One of the young men answered, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him.”

1 Samuel 19:9–10 (ESV)
9 Then a harmful spirit from YHWH came upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand. And David was playing the lyre. 10 And Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he eluded Saul, so that he struck the spear into the wall. And David fled and escaped that night.

Offline James  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:43:14 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Looking at 1 Sam 16:14, I notice that word translated from after departed is me'im while the from before Yahuweh is me'eth. Knowing Yahuweh two different words was probably used because two different concepts where being conveyed. I'm going to look into these words a little more, and will post what I find.

appending

the first word is Mem Aiyn Mem
the second word is Mem Alef Taw

they are both compound words, the first being Min and im and the second being Min and Eth

Now Min is usually from, but can mean because of, made of, by means of, part of or on account of

im and Eth can both be rendered with, but each has other possible meanings.

If you where to render them both the same "from with" then the spirit of Yahweh departed from with Saul, with the implication being 'being with' and then he was tormented by an evil spirit, from with Yahweh.

Again I think that since different words where used different translations should be done. Since the first makes complete sense, that Yahweh's spirit would depart from being with Soul, I'm apt to bet that the second is not being rendered correct.

I think that since an acceptable and proper rendering of Eth is according to, and it is the only definition of Eth that does not correspond to a definition of im. In other words most of there definitions are the same, but Eth can mean according to, and im can not.
And min can be on account of.

I would say here that it is saying that Saul was tormented by an evil spirit on account of and according to Yahuweh.

But this was only based on a 20 min study, so I could be wrong.

Edited by user Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:16:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:21:44 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Marcus wrote:
1 Samuel 19:9–10 (ESV)
9 Then a harmful spirit from YHWH came upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand. And David was playing the lyre. 10 And Saul sought to pin David to the wall with the spear, but he eluded Saul, so that he struck the spear into the wall. And David fled and escaped that night.

Well on first look I notice that the word for from in not in the Hebrew. The text would read waw hayah ruwach yahuweh ra'ah

waw is and
hayah we all know is exists, so it existed
ruwach means spirit
Yahuweh we all know
ra'ah means evil, wickedness and harm

SO there you go.

I'll post more latter wife's home and it's dinner time. LOL

Offline Marcus  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:56:15 AM(UTC)
Marcus

I asked KP and Yada so I want to find out what there take is on it. Meanwhile I am still checking out that difference in me et and me im. thanks
Offline kp  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:00:38 AM(UTC)
kp

Everybody seems to be freaking out because Yahweh sent an "evil spirit" to Saul. It's as if we can't countenance our God doing anything that wasn't "nice" or "beneficial" to anyone. But Yahweh only did this after Saul basically told Him to take a hike---to leave him alone. Judgment, punishment, and even vengeance are Yahweh's right alone. It's His call if He feels it proper to torment a man who has purposely turned his back on Him---especially if the man is supposed to be leading His chosen people in matters of governance and defense. This is neither inconsistent nor unmerciful on God's part, if you factor in the welfare of the nation of Israel as a whole.

Maybe we think Yahweh doesn't exercise power over demons. But that doesn't fly, either. Though He doesn't always get personally involved, there are numerous instance in scripture when He did precisely that---and they had to obey. Remember the demons and the herd of swine? Or how about the four frog-like demons of the sixth bowl judgment of Revelation 16? Though they were ostensibly serving satan, they were actually doing Yahweh's bidding, gathering the armies of the East to Armageddon.

Yahweh knows precisely what He's doing, and His ways are higher than our ways. I can't count on all my fingers and toes the times in scripture where He has used one evil to eradicate or incapacitate another. That doesn't make Him evil. It only makes Him pragmatic.

kp

Offline Marcus  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:15:16 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Thank you KP.
For some reason I was stuck thinking that it was saying that the evil tormenting spirit was of Yahweh (part of Yahweh) as oppose to coming from and being directed by Yahweh. I don't know why I was not making the connection in the English translation but I definitely knew that what I was thinking was wrong. For some reason I thought that evil could not be in the presence of Yahweh but I understand that is not true. Satan was accusing Job in Yahweh presence and directed what he could and could not do. I guess for some cultural reason I picture evil as literal darkness and Yahweh as light. I guess this is great to get to know Yahweh better. There is a lot more I need to learn.
Offline James  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:01:39 AM(UTC)
James
Man

kp wrote:
Everybody seems to be freaking out because Yahweh sent an "evil spirit" to Saul.

My concern was not so much that Yahuweh was using an evil spirit to do it, but that the translation, indicted that the spirit came from Yahuweh, which is why I preferred the rendering according to Yahuweh, it conveys the point that Yahuweh was using the spirit, but doesn't have the insinuation that the spirit was his.

Offline kp  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:31:42 PM(UTC)
kp

Y'know, all afternoon, I've been totally bummed out. First came the realization that Yahweh cared enough about the welfare of Israel to send an "evil spirit" to distract Saul so he could only do minimal damage while "in office." Then Yada and I chatted on BlogTalk Radio about how Isaiah 18 reveals that God intends to "prune back" America before the harvest (read: the rapture). And call me covetous, but I'm a little jealous. I mean, I love my country. We've been good for each other. And now it's being dismantled brick by friggin' brick by our own elected leaders---in other words, it's being pruned back with a power tool, right before our eyes, all because THE MAJORITY has told Yahweh to take a long walk off a short pier (or they would have, if they knew God's name). Why can't Yah send an evil spirit on Washington, so our elected Bozos can't destroy us quite so quickly?

Sorry, I just had to vent. I really do know that Abba's got this whole thing under control.

kp
Offline edStueart  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:13:20 PM(UTC)
edStueart

kp wrote:
Why can't Yah send an evil spirit on Washington

So you want Dick Cheney back in Washington?

I'm confused...
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline kp  
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:41:34 PM(UTC)
kp

Oooo. Scary. Yeah, that might work. Not Bush, though. That would be cruel and unusual.

kp
Offline James  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 3:14:33 AM(UTC)
James
Man

kp wrote:
And now it's being dismantled brick by friggin' brick by our own elected leaders---in other words, it's being pruned back with a power tool

Good way of putting it Ken. Sadly.