logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 2:44:37 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just reading through a PDF book Swalchy linked me to about the inauthenticity of Paul's letters.

Not too far in I stumbled on this:

Quote:

Following other scholars, U. Ranke-Heinemann calls attention to a parallel between Acts 26:14 and a segment from a drama by the Greek poet Euripides. In Acts the voice speaks to Paul-Saul:

Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It hurts you to kick against the goads.

What we have in this saying is a citation from the Bacchae of Euripides, in which the persecuted God (In this case, Dionysus) speaks to his persecutor (In this case Pentheus, the king of Thebes) as in Acts:

“You turn a deaf ear to my words... Instead of kicking against God’s goads as a mortal, you should rather offer sacrifices.”

U. Ranke-Heinemann concludes:

“This Dionysius episode has obviously been taken over into the Damascus scenery. An ancient persecution-saying is taken up in a Christian persecution-saying. Even the detail that because of his meter Euripides uses not the singular, but the plural ‘goads’ is taken over by Luke.”

Of course, U. Ranke-Heinemann characterizes the “fairy story about the process of Paul’s conversion” as a “harmless fairy story.”

Interesting...

If anyone is interested in looking at the book: http://www.radikalkritik.de/FabricatedJHC.pdf
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 2:58:14 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
The thing I would want to know is how common of an expression was this at that time. Was it a very common Greek expression or particular to that story. If it was fairly common, as say the English expression, pulling my leg, then it was common to the vernacular and so what, if it isn't however that would be different.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 3:23:54 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I think what I find more interesting is there are a lot of scholars who either don't believe Paul existed or hate him for existing. Coming from fluffy fluffy Christianity land this is really interesting.

Anyone who looks into Paul's letters sees inconsistencies as big as elephants, but its just that, no one wants to talk about the elephant in the room - least of all Pro-Paul Theologians (normally Christian).

Personally as far as my understanding goes I do not doubt Paul's existence, although I do now doubt he wrote certain letters - and no I would not consider them to be scripture - its just interesting how the more you dig the more you find a solution to build Christianity on.

Rocky ground indeed. I can see now that calling any of the letters scripture really does not match up with the awesome writing style of inspired scripture. Connecting Yah to Galatians is like putting him in the retarded class at school because he cant spell his name proper. Connecting Paul to Galatians means someone did a secret lobotomy on him when he was asleep in his cell one night. He might be rash, and not as 100% clear as he could be in other letters, but wow... he really had an IQ fail in Galatians if it was him lol.

My theory. Galatians isn't Paul.
Offline Marcus  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2009 4:33:53 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Have any of you written a letter while you were drunk and mad? Then had someone publish it. LOL
Offline sirgodfrey  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:11:06 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Marcus wrote:
Have any of you written a letter while you were drunk and mad? Then had someone publish it. LOL

LOLOOL
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:29:06 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Yea I hate it when that happens...
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:06:48 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Robskiwarrior wrote:
Yea I hate it when that happens...

Any evidence supporting that claim? Come on, spill your beans then!

Edited by moderator Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:15:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:08:17 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

LoL
Offline Matthew  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:15:41 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Swalchy wrote:
Please spill your beans Robski, so I don't have to put up with your constant breaking of wind on our Sabbath gathering =/

Mwahahahaha!