logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline visitor  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:25:34 PM(UTC)
visitor

I was reading in YY - Mowriyah, Ch. #9, pg. 17, which refers to Genesis 22:12 and the story of Abraham and Issac on Mt. Moriah. I was wondering what the words in Hebrew and/or Greek were for the phrase: revere and respect? (I heard a Lutheran pastor recently translate this as - fear...because you have feared me, etc.)

To Quote:

Quote:
"He said, ‘Do not stretch out your hand toward the young boy (na’ar) nor do (‘asah) anything (‘al) to him. Because (kiy - on account of) I now (atah) know (yada’ - recognize and have been made aware) that you revere and respect God (‘elohym).’" (Genesis 22:12) That’s it. If we "revere and respect God" nothing more is required of us. That is the message of the Sabbath and of the Covenant. It is the story being demonstrated here.

Thanks.

-yahudim
Offline YY  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:08:06 AM(UTC)
YY
Man

The Hebrew word is yare'. It can be translated "revere and respect," "stand in awe of," or "fear." But since Yahweh says in Isaiah that the "fear of God is a manmade tradtion," the choice is clear. Moreover, since the express purpose of the Covenant with Abraham, and us, is to form a personal, familial, and loving relationship with Yah, it cannot be "fear." It is impossible to love that which you fear, and fear has no place in a personal or familial relationship.

That said, there is justification for "standing in awe" of Yahweh, amazed at who He is and what He has done. Under this definition we find "to admire, seeing as wonderful, illustrious, and stupendous."

Under the fear definition we find: "be afraid, be frightened, be in a state of great distress, be concerned over the infliction of pain or a dire circumstance, be intimidated." Since nont of these fit, I'm stunned pastors would say such a thing.

Under the revere definiation we find: "reverence, vererate, show profound respect for someone, honor someone with status and authority, revere one's parents."

Yare' also means "to be refreshed, renewed, and revitalized."

Religious clerics, starting with rabbis in the first century, and followed by Catholics in the fifth century universally translated yare' as fear to turn men and women away from Yahweh and to them as intermediaries. Fear is the foundation of religion.

YY

Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:54:27 AM(UTC)
kp

I find it easist to comprehend "revere/fear" if I put myself in the shoes of a small child in the presence of his or her loving father. Daddy is really big and strong, and we know from experience that He loves us and provides for us---loves to get us treats and toys when we deserve it. But we saw Him get angry once or twice, and we don't like that very much, 'cause it's scary when Somebody so strong confronts you. Funny thing is, He's never really gotten angry at us, 'cause we're his kids---only angry at other people who were trying to hurt us. When I've been bad, though, that's where my fear comes into play. It's not that Daddy has changed toward me---it's that I have run away from Him. It's not that I'm afraid of Him, so much, but I am afraid of what I know He is physically capable of doing. My fear, then, is completely irrational, while my reverence is perfectly natural. What makes me afraid is my guilt, not Daddy's character.

kp