logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 9:16:21 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Just a thought I have been dwelling on recently, based on the assumption that Yahweh is infinite:

1. That which is infinite, must be constantly growing.
2. Should is cease to grow, it will cease to be infinite, as it will have an end.
3. Because Yahweh, who is infinite, "needed" to grow more he created man.
4. The purpose of man's creation was so that Yahweh could experience a loving familial relationship, and grow through it.

So once Yahweh has experienced and grown as much as he can through his relationship with man, what next?

An idea someone I talked to about this had, was that since man kind was essentially Yahweh growing through experiencing with his children, i.e. man. Then the next logical step would be what any loving parent would want to experience and that is grandchildren. So in essence we would go off to create life of our own. I must admit that it is an interesting proposition, but I do struggle with the idea of us becoming for all intents and purposes Gods.

I was wandering if anyone else might have some ideas on this, or is it as I assume something we can never really know in this life.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 1:34:54 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
On what reasoning is point 1 based upon? Because as far as my feeble mind can comprehend I see infinite being infinte, with no beginning and no end, because if we say something infinite needs to grow then that means it had a starting point. And as far as we are concerned Yahweh exists, always existed and will always exist, therefore something infinite cannot cease to grow, simply because it's not growing in the first place.

But growing where we have to ask, growing in size, in knowledge, or maybe in love, etc.?

I don't see Yahweh infinite size, but rather having the ability to reach wherever He wants to and therefore in a way infnite in size. (try not get confused). I also see Yahweh infinite in possibilities, being able to accomplish anything He so desires. But then I get a philosophical question coming to mind: can Yah sin? No. So can Yah do anything He so desires based on the fact He cannot sin? Yes and no. I base this "yes" on the fact that Yah does not desire to sin, therefore He can do anything He desires, but also say "no" because, well, He cannot sin. Is Yahweh infinite in knowledge? Well we are told He doesn't know unbelievers, or does this just mean He knows about them but not on a personal bases? But I don't want to linger on this point because a migraine will most likely set in.

And what about love? Well I don't think He required us in order to grow in love, but rather wanted to express and share His nature and desires with someone, with anybody who wanted to, and therefore came us with this magnificent creation and plan of redemption with us being the center for its purpose. It sounds rather like Yahweh was "lacking" companionship. So we ask: did Yahweh require to create us to "complete" Him, or did He create us because He so desired?

Since we are created in His image, that of male, female and child (family) and that of free-will, in order to experience family we need to grow in love and respect, of which free-will is the agent to accomplish the process of that growing familial relationship we share.

So is Yahweh infinite in love? Well, I see Him infinite in love, perfect and complete in love, but maybe Himself not personally feeling "complete" in love because in order to love you need someone to love! What's the point of being love and no one to share it with?

PS: don't have time to really edit it so don't mind my rambling. It would be interesting to see other opinions by members!
Offline TRUTH B-TOLD  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 1:42:28 PM(UTC)
TRUTH B-TOLD
Man

Hello James,

Coming out of a false religion of 18 yrs.(LDS) this is right up my alley. This is mormonism at its best. They believe we just like Yahshua, start out as men and progress to the point that we become gods. Then we just as Yahshua, will create our own worlds that we will populate with our own spiritual children. Thank Yahweh for opening my eyes to the absurdity of this false doctrine and all the other false teachings of the mormon church. If you would like more info. on it, mormonism is a good place to start. I wouldn't waste my time though, unless your friend is a mormon and you want to get the info. so you can help them understand the absurdity of it.
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:41:03 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
James wrote:
...I must admit that it is an interesting proposition, but I do struggle with the idea of us becoming for all intents and purposes Gods.

Oops, I didn't see that sentence when I read it the first time, so didn't respond with that in mind.

But there are some who believe we are "little gods" rather than becoming like the gods. This teaching of believers being "little gods" permeates the teachings of guys like Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagin, and Benny Hinn.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:55:40 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Matthew wrote:
On what reasoning is point 1 based upon? Because as far as my feeble mind can comprehend I see infinite being infinte, with no beginning and no end, because if we say something infinite needs to grow then that means it had a starting point.

The mathematical concept of infinity is that it is unreachable, because it is never ending, in order to be never ending it must continue to grow, because if it does not grow, it has an end.
Just because something grows, doesn't mean it has a starting point, a plane, mathematically speaking, expands infinitely in all directions, we choose a point as the center for the purposes of using it, but that is not an origin, it is just an arbitrary center.
Matthew wrote:
And as far as we are concerned Yahweh exists, always existed and will always exist, therefore something infinite cannot cease to grow, simply because it's not growing in the first place.

The reason that Yahweh created man to begin with, was so that he could grow, he was incomplete with out man. Just as we grow by having children, he grew by creating us. At least this is my understanding of why Yahweh created us.

Matthew wrote:
But growing where we have to ask, growing in size, in knowledge, or maybe in love, etc.?
I don't see Yahweh infinite size, but rather having the ability to reach wherever He wants to and therefore in a way infnite in size. (try not get confused). I also see Yahweh infinite in possibilities, being able to accomplish anything He so desires. But then I get a philosophical question coming to mind: can Yah sin? No. So can Yah do anything He so desires based on the fact He cannot sin? Yes and no. I base this "yes" on the fact that Yah does not desire to sin, therefore He can do anything He desires, but also say "no" because, well, He cannot sin. Is Yahweh infinite in knowledge? Well we are told He doesn't know unbelievers, or does this just mean He knows about them but not on a personal bases? But I don't want to linger on this point because a migraine will most likely set in.

As the determiner of what Sin is Yahweh can not sin, because he doesn't desire to sin. I agree lingering on this is not really necessary and can be a bit mind wrecking, a bit like pondering time paradoxes, but it is a bit fun from time to time.
As far as Yahweh not knowing unbelievers, I believe the knowing is in a personal way, Yahweh knows they exist, but since they are not interested in knowing him, he is not interested in knowing them. For example there where many people in my graduating class, I knew of most of them, but I didn't know anything about them other than what I herd, I didn't take the time to know them, because I was not interested in it, and they weren't interested in knowing me.

Matthew wrote:
And what about love? Well I don't think He required us in order to grow in love, but rather wanted to express and share His nature and desires with someone, with anybody who wanted to, and therefore came us with this magnificent creation and plan of redemption with us being the center for its purpose. It sounds rather like Yahweh was "lacking" companionship. So we ask: did Yahweh require to create us to "complete" Him, or did He create us because He so desired?

I don't think he requires us to grow in love, but he grows by sharing his love with us, just as we grow when we share our love with others. I was a loving person, but with out sharing that love with the people I care about, it does me know good, I grew incredibly when I meet my wife, and was able to share my love and life with her. So when Yahweh created us, and shared his love with us, he grew in some way.

Matthew wrote:
Since we are created in His image, that of male, female and child (family) and that of free-will, in order to experience family we need to grow in love and respect, of which free-will is the agent to accomplish the process of that growing familial relationship we share.

Agreed, but for it to be a productive relationship, both parties must benifit from it, and so as we grow by forming a relationship with him, he grows by forming a relationship with us.

Matthew wrote:
So is Yahweh infinite in love? Well, I see Him infinite in love, perfect and complete in love, but maybe Himself not personally feeling "complete" in love because in order to love you need someone to love! What's the point of being love and no one to share it with?

That's pretty much what I mean by growing, having love is one thing, but it doesn't do you much good until you share it. Not feeling complete, is what I mean by growing, he is growing more complete all the time.

Matthew wrote:
PS: don't have time to really edit it so don't mind my rambling. It would be interesting to see other opinions by members!

This whole thread was based on the ramblings in my head, and ramblings with my friend over a few beers.

T-B-T wrote:
Coming out of a false religion of 18 yrs.(LDS) this is right up my alley. This is mormonism at its best. They believe we just like Yahshua, start out as men and progress to the point that we become gods. Then we just as Yahshua, will create our own worlds that we will populate with our own spiritual children. Thank Yahweh for opening my eyes to the absurdity of this false doctrine and all the other false teachings of the mormon church. If you would like more info. on it, mormonism is a good place to start. I wouldn't waste my time though, unless your friend is a mormon and you want to get the info. so you can help them understand the absurdity of it.

My mother and sister both spent time in the LDS, when they married into a mormon church, so I got to learn a few things about LDS. Of course this was back in my agnostic/atheist days, and I did have fun arguing atheism with mormons, actually had a few of their door to door 'missionaries' questioning their 'faith' by the time they left. mormonism is pretty easy to tear part, but I digress. When my friend first mentioned this to me, I had the same feeling that it was eerily reminiscent of mormon teaching. My friend is not a mormon, and he doesn't really believe this, it was just a thought he had, like I said we where discussing it over a few beers, so it was more just musing on the topic and this came up as a 'possibility'. Personally I don't really agree with it, but it was an interesting proposition. We both kinda came to the conclusion that we really can't know, but i thought I would see if anyone in the forum had any thought on it.

Offline Cyn  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:59:46 AM(UTC)
Cyn

there is another point which you did not consider, an infinite amount will not grow even if it seems to increase(or decrease for that matter). this is more a matter of perspective.
lets say you were capable of having all natural numbers (0,1,2,3...) in a place, now that amount would be infinite as there are an infinite amount of natural numbers, however the actual amount of numbers you had there would always be the same, by definition, as we said you already have them there.
now if i add to that amount all integers (negative numbers -1,-2,-3...) the amount of numbers would seem to have doubled, while it would have actually stayed the same as there were already an infinite amount of numbers in that place [which by definition also has to be infinite].
now we can play this game all day, and remove all natural numbers from that place, still there is an infinite amount of numbers left.

so basically Yahueh has to be in an infinite place and however much you add or take away from him he always stays the same "size". therefore i am sure that he created the universe out of the abundance of his own energy and size, there was plenty (infact an infinite amount) there to begin with, why not use some of it to create some matter and spiritual beeings, after all it will not diminish him by one bit, and everything we "add" to him is like a drop in an infinite ocean, but his greatness lies in the fact that he cares even for that drop.
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:40:56 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Cyn wrote:
there is another point which you did not consider, an infinite amount will not grow even if it seems to increase(or decrease for that matter). this is more a matter of perspective.
lets say you were capable of having all natural numbers (0,1,2,3...) in a place, now that amount would be infinite as there are an infinite amount of natural numbers, however the actual amount of numbers you had there would always be the same, by definition, as we said you already have them there.
now if i add to that amount all integers (negative numbers -1,-2,-3...) the amount of numbers would seem to have doubled, while it would have actually stayed the same as there were already an infinite amount of numbers in that place [which by definition also has to be infinite].
now we can play this game all day, and remove all natural numbers from that place, still there is an infinite amount of numbers left.

The only problem with this logic Cyn is that it views infinity as a number, which it is not, it is a concept, the concept of never ending, and in order to never end it must continually be growing. That is at least the mathematical concept of infinite. There is also the Philosophical concept, which is more in line with what you have said. So I guess it depends on what concept of infinite you use.

Offline Cyn  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:42:06 AM(UTC)
Cyn

No it doesnt, and i am so bold, as we are under brothers, to disagree you.

If indeed something IS infinite at this moment then it does not matter wheter it WILL grow or not, if something HAS to grow to be infinite then it can not be infinite right now.

as i said, if something by definition is infinite you can take or add to it however much you want, it is was and will be infinite. i think this is more a misunderstanding based upon the imprecision of language.
the problem is that this kind of logic is imposing the fact that Yahueh HAS to grow from a source outside of him to call or be himself infinite. what i could imagine is that he grows of himself to ever increasing magnitudes and endlessnesses of infinity, if that makes any sense.

not that it matters that much i'm sure our dad will tell us as soon as we go camping :)

Offline In His Name  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:19:26 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My 2 cents:

By definition Infinite cannot grow.

If infinite were to grow, then before it grew it was finite.
Infinite is without measure, growth would require some type of measurement that shows that growth.
If something can grow then it was not infinite.
You cannot add or take away from something that is infinite.

end of my 2 cents.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 6:39:47 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I understand what you are saying, but I'm just not sure I agree, take the Universe for example, we know that it had a beginning, and it is infinite, according to most astronomers. I think both can be correct, infinite can exist with out growth, or it can be constantly growing. Numbers exist with out beginning or end, with out having to grow, but that is because they are a concept, not an actual object. The universe is infinite, because it is constantly growing.
This really isn't a big deal, so I'm not too worried about it, I'm with you Cyn, we won;t be able to understand infinite until Yahweh explains it to us, that's if we are even capable of understanding it then. I mainly started thinking about it, because I heard Yada and Yow'el talking about it on the show one day. Yada was explaining the idea of 6+1, man + God = perfection. As Yada put it, God was incomplete, so he made man, and then Yow'el chimed in, explaining that a lot of Christians have issues with the idea that God is not perfect without man, and explained that in order for God to be infinite he must continue to grow, using the example, that for something to be infinite, it must be bigger when we finish this conversation, than it was when we started. That was always how I have understood infinite as well so I didn't bother to look it up, but when I did I saw that both can actually be true, so the question becomes in what way is Yahwweh infinite? Again this isn't that important of a topic, just thoughts I had.