logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Devildog  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:21:16 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Hi guys, I was hoping for a little help with understanding the harmony of the "Gospel" accounts. Haven't spent a ton of time on this so I may be missing something pretty obvious, so please let me know what it is that I am missisng, please. Three accounts record Yahushua telling Peter that the "Crow will not make a sound before he(Peter) denies that he knows Yahushua". These are found in Jn 13:38, Lk 22:34 and Matt. 26:34. All of these accounts, go on to record a 1rst denial, a second denial, and then a third denial with a bird crowing instantly thereafter. These can be found in Jn. 18:17-27, Lk. 22:57-60 and Matt. 26:70-74.

The problem(for me) arrises when I read the account recorded by Mark. In Mark 14:30, it says that " before the cock crows TWICE, you shall deny me three times".

I looked at the word for "twice" and discovered that it is only used 5 or 6 times and can be "once and again". This would perhaps bring it into harmony with the other three, but later in the chapter we find:

Mark 14:68- First denial then a cock crows.

Mark 14:70- Second denial

Mark 14:71- Third denial

Mark 14:72- Cock crows for the second time, and Peter recalls Mark 14:30( before the cock crows twice, you shall deny me three times)

Clearly, you can see the contradiction. Thanks for any clarification you can bring to this.
Offline Devildog  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 5:37:18 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Swalchy wrote:
I wouldn't really call it a contradiction - just that Mark has been a bit more specific as to how many times the cock physically crows.

You wouldn't? Three accounts say Peter would deny Yahushua three times before the bird makes a sound, and Mark records the cock crowing before the denials. I must be missing something. Thanks for the suggestion, Swalchy. Since it isn't in my copy of
Comfort and Barrett's, where is the oldest manuscript of Mark 14? Do you know? I also checked the "Scriptures" translation and it is harmonious with the others.
Offline Devildog  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2007 6:06:20 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Thank you, Swalchy, for doing that work. I had a feeling that we would find something such as what you have reported. You can read Greek? That's awesome! Once they are in the english, I can then look up the words using various tools but I don't know how to read them directly from the Greek. That would be very handy. Thank you for clearing up that for me. It, in essence, put it in harmony with all the others, right? Now, we just need to see that verse which you already mentioned. I think it is MK 14:68. I am anxious to see what you find. I hope you are enjoying the Sabbath.
Offline Devildog  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2007 10:21:16 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Wow! Thank you, Swalchy. What manuscript are our translations based on, and do they say "the rooster crowed"? Why are these errors even permitted? It is amazing to me.
Offline Devildog  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2007 4:31:42 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Thanks again. Yea, Yada explains alot about many things LOL. Doesn't mean I retain them all. Actually, this is not one of the things explained and would be a nice addition as once again, I can't believe this is even allowed. It's a certain, that I am not the first to spot this glaring contradiction in the "gospels". And I assure you that there have been many who have turned away from Yahuweh because of this and things like it. This is common sense and I would like to think that there is SOMEONE who cared enough about them/us to have it corrected over the years. I understand that most translations are actually more like revisions but when a glaring error comes up or a contradiction arrises, I thought that someone, someplace, would have caught and corrected it. Or at least expose the fools who translated the Bible, so as to retain family members. I mean, it's like, they just come upon something that says " While at Golgotha, they gave Yahshua a glass of milk to drink And they crucified him". Don't these PPL know that milk conflicts with the other acccounts? Do they simply not care? Do the PPL in the pews even care? There is only a couple choices and they are both terribly disturbing.
Now I know what verse to use when the godly man stands up in front of the congregation and declares the Bible "the word of God". What I find surprising however, is that every other translation to my knowledge(like I said, even the scriptures) passes along this troubling error to it's readers. This kind of stuff, literally, bothers my stomach. This is the kind of stuff that kept me away from my Father. And He knows it! And that would explain His attitude toward these tolerant, luke warm, "Christians".

This one verse may mean life or death to someone,

and that is a little disturbing, considering we have just learned that not one person who claims to act on God's behalf, evens cares.