logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dodi  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:58:06 AM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

I get this question all the time -

What are you? or What denomination are you?

I don't know how to answer that. I'm a believer in Yeshua but I'm not following Messianic Judiasm 100% and I don't follow "the church" so if I was to tell someone I am a Christian they want to know what church I go to and I don't go to church or follow "the church" system. I've read that believing in the true names and following the Torah is called a Netzarim. Is this what I am?
Offline dodi  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:24:47 AM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

Yes, I don't like labels either.

Thanks
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:41:01 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Acts 22:4 "I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison,"

Acts 24:14 "However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,"

What do you guys think Paul was referring to when he refers to himself as "a follower of the Way"?

Did you notice the phrase "I believe everything that agrees with the Law"?
Offline sirgodfrey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:39:22 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Very interesting I must say (concerning the way). It is also interesting that he noted He agreed with the Law. Matthew, you are on the grind :)
Offline bitnet  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:50:14 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Paul readily agrees that he is now a disciple of Yahushua and follows His Way, which is, surprisingly for most people, The Way according to Scripture and not to Pharisaical tradition which he was subjected to follow before his enlightenment! So The Way existed before Paul's time and continues to this day because there is only One Way and He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Now, some people claim that The Way is of the Nazarene and several Messianic congregations are calling themselves Nazarene Messianics. Someone even told me that a Muslim woman he met here recognised the "Nasrain" as true followers of the One God and People of The Book. That is in interesting observation because it has several implications, but this is not the place to discuss it. So what do we call ourselves? Yahudym. People of Yahweh. Some Jews will be offended by this but if they do not want to mention His Name it is their problem. If they are moved by jealousy and want to re-claim their G-D, so be it, and it would behoove them to get to know our Creator better according to His Way, rather than that of the rabbis.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2009 1:36:13 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When I married my wife, I didn't become a Judithian - relationships don't require labels and a stamp. I am my fathers son, He knows that, I know that, the world thoughts on the matter are irrelevant.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2009 8:39:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
When people ask me what I am I just say that I am a son of Yahweh. I think it is a good answer, and it then begs the question who's Yahweh, which can lead to many long and interesting discussions\debates.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Juski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:07:14 AM(UTC)
Juski

I'm Complicated!! :)
Offline Matthew  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 7:07:18 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Juski wrote:
I'm Complicated!! :)

Juski, can Robski verify that, or do you think that's pushing his luck? ;)

But I think calling ourselves "complicated" is a dead honest description because nobody seems to understand us.
Offline Juski  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 9:16:13 AM(UTC)
Juski

lol - im sure Rob has called me worse things at times!! :)
Offline dodi  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 1:37:42 PM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

Thanks for all the replies.

My husband said basically the same thing - tell others we are followers of Yahweh. It opens the door to having to tell others what we're talking about :)
Offline Yahshuaslavejeff  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 9:26:03 PM(UTC)
Yahshuaslavejeff

not all followers of Yahweh are obedient - many say they are followers of Yahweh, but they pick and choose when to obey.
all martyrs for the Gospel's Sake are obedient followers in Yahshua - they don't pick and choose when to obey, only that they will always obey no matter the cost (they often lose everything - home, family, friends, job, all of their possessions, and even their life, but they count that all as nothing ! )