logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline edStueart  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:53:54 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Quote:
"To say that being non-judgmental is better than being judgmental is itself a judgment, and therefore a violation of principle."

-Thomas Sowell
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:17:52 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Thomas Sowell is a great thinker and that quote is perfect. I'm going to have to remember it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention edStueart
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:52:18 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If I hear one more smug self satisfied scoffer or "christian" say, "judge not lest ye be judged", I don't know what I am going to do.....
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline In His Name  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:22:27 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
edStueart wrote:
Quote:
"To say that being non-judgmental is better than being judgmental is itself a judgment, and therefore a violation of principle."

-Thomas Sowell

Isn't that statement just a little judgemental!... ;-)
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 7:38:52 AM(UTC)
kp

We should remember that the word translated "judge" in Matthew 7:1 can have both godly and ungodly connotations, depending on its object. Krino can mean (when applied to things, ideas, doctrines, etc.) to separate, to choose between, to prefer, to form or hold an opinion. But in reference to people, it means to rule over, govern, to preside over as a king, to pronounce judgment, to subject to censure. Yahweh obviously wants us to judge between good and evil, and choose the good. We are not, however, to seek to rule over or censure other people. Why? Because it is their responsibility before God to choose between right and wrong for themselves---not mindlessly follow their fellow humans, even if we think we've got all the answers. To impose our "religion" on others is to "judge" them, and we are pointedly told not to. That being said, it is our responsiblity to love the lost people of the world. If doing this helps them to see the light, then we have helped them choose wisely---without having been their judges.

kp
Offline Theophilus  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:11:22 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

First, I really appreciate the Sowell quote which upon reflection works logically.

I'm also pondering what Ken wrote. It makes sense to me that we are to be discerning and are to choose to do right as Yah gives us conscience and Word to perceive what is right. What is more challenging IMO is when to stand for a right or oppose a wrong without violating Yahshua's instruction. If I understand Ken correctly it almost seems to be a warning against taking positions of public leadership?
Offline edStueart  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:01:15 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Theophilus wrote:
it almost seems to be a warning against taking positions of public leadership?

Being The Leader is fraught with opportunities for personal failure, even under the best of circumstances.
Every one of Israel's kings ran into serious trouble that would not have happened had he not been king.

Temporary leadership seems to be a good mechanism for mitigating the opportunity for corruption of the leadership staff.

I propose a two term limit for elected politicians:

One term in office, followed by one term in prison.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!