logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline visitor  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 11:15:32 PM(UTC)
visitor

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts related to `don`t pursue your own interests but enjoy the Sabbath.` Applying this to one`s children, does this mean we should not let them participate in such things as school events, clubs, outings, sports, etc., on the Sabbath?

Quote:
Isaiah 58:13-14 (New Living Translation)

13 “Keep the Sabbath day holy.
Don’t pursue your own interests on that day,
but enjoy the Sabbath
and speak of it with delight as the Lord’s holy day.
Honor the Sabbath in everything you do on that day,
and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly.
14 Then the Lord will be your delight.
I will give you great honor
and satisfy you with the inheritance I promised to your ancestor Jacob.
I, the Lord, have spoken!”
Offline Juski  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:41:11 AM(UTC)
Juski

I think its a decision you have to make for yourself - we try to keep the sabbath a day for family and worship time. But from time to time there are things happening that either we or the kids want to be a part of and I think thats ok. So for example we will go to a friends wedding, or let the kids go to a birthday party or whatever on the sabbath. It hasnt come up for us yet coz the kids are still young but I think if there was a regular event every sabbath I might try to find an alternative day for it just coz it eats into the day a lot and if all the kids want to be doing different clubs you could end up spending all day taxi -ing them around to different things at different times and have no time together.

Someone else here will probably give you a deep theological answer to what exactly Is58 is saying though ;)
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:04:44 PM(UTC)
kp

I don't know about "deep theological answers," but I just went back and read Isaiah 58 and it answered a lot of unarticulated questions for me. It was a real eye-opener. The basic thrust of the chapter is the prophet's admonition to walk in Yahweh's ways rather than in our own---even (or should I say, especially) in matters of religious practice. The examples he chooses are telling. He speaks of "fasting." You wouldn't think people would fast for their own pleasure, but he accuses Israel of doing precisely that: "‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and You have not seen? Why have we afflicted our souls, and You take no notice?’ “In fact, in the day of your fast you find pleasure, and exploit all your laborers. Indeed you fast for strife and debate, and to strike with the fist of wickedness. You will not fast as you do this day, to make your voice heard on high. Is it a fast that I have chosen, a day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, and to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to Yahweh?" (vs 3-5)

The answer is no, this is not an acceptable form of worship. Then he explains what is. "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh?" (vs 6-7) He's saying exactly the same thing Micah said about what God really wanted from us: "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does Yahweh require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8)

So when we "keep" the sabbath, the idea is not to center it on ourselves, by proudly adhering to a set of rules invented by man that define for their own "pleasure" the parameters of the Sabbath. This is not about us (though it was instituted for our benefit). The whole point of the Sabbath is to set the day apart for communion with Yahweh. It's not about having fun or not having fun, not about working or not working, not about doing religious things or following secular pursuits. It's about setting aside one day a week in which to make it a point to honor our God, to commune with Him, and to remember His mercies.

kp
Offline BiynaYahu  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:45:47 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

kp wrote:
I don't know about "deep theological answers," but I just went back and read Isaiah 58 and it answered a lot of unarticulated questions for me. It was a real eye-opener. The basic thrust of the chapter is the prophet's admonition to walk in Yahweh's ways rather than in our own---even (or should I say, especially) in matters of religious practice. The examples he chooses are telling. He speaks of "fasting." You wouldn't think people would fast for their own pleasure, but he accuses Israel of doing precisely that: "‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and You have not seen? Why have we afflicted our souls, and You take no notice?’ “In fact, in the day of your fast you find pleasure, and exploit all your laborers. Indeed you fast for strife and debate, and to strike with the fist of wickedness. You will not fast as you do this day, to make your voice heard on high. Is it a fast that I have chosen, a day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, and to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to Yahweh?" (vs 3-5)

The answer is no, this is not an acceptable form of worship. Then he explains what is. "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; when you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh?" (vs 6-7) He's saying exactly the same thing Micah said about what God really wanted from us: "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does Yahweh require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8)

So when we "keep" the sabbath, the idea is not to center it on ourselves, by proudly adhering to a set of rules invented by man that define for their own "pleasure" the parameters of the Sabbath. This is not about us (though it was instituted for our benefit). The whole point of the Sabbath is to set the day apart for communion with Yahweh. It's not about having fun or not having fun, not about working or not working, not about doing religious things or following secular pursuits. It's about setting aside one day a week in which to make it a point to honor our God, to commune with Him, and to remember His mercies.

kp

Amein. Praise YAH!
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline bitnet  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2008 3:41:45 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I'm still learning how to keep the Sabbaths and one of the key principles that I follow is to "turn my foot from my ways". That means leaving everything down as much as possible and focus on learning about Yahweh and fellowshipping with those who have responded to His call (mostly online). This is not easy as there are few around me who even heard His call, and those that have responded seem to follow certain Jewish practices that are viewed as legitimate Hebrew practices. This includes reading the parashah, attending meetings with prescribed liturgies that include Scripture sharing, singing, open prayers, and a meal. I'm not very much into these practices yet so I hardly meet with the Nazarene Messianics in my city. However, what I refrain from doing (apart from not doing work) is buying and selling almost anything (including meals), and I do not get involved in sports or other activities (no movies at the cinema either). I find that having the time to focus on Yahweh's purpose for us is a great delight. I have a sanctioned space in time to do absolutely nothing but figure out why we are here and where we are going next. I only wish that there are more of us in my neighbourhood so that we can fellowship together in person and grow in faith and plan our work according to His will.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.