logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Y777  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:59:47 AM(UTC)
Y777

Hello,

I was just wondering if somewhere in YY and TOM/FH the authors have a list of sources used? I looked and can't find anything more than a list of materials used in doing the actual translations from Hebrew/Greek into English. What I am more looking for is perhaps footnotes denoting where certain historical/linguistic, etc. conclusions have been drawn from. This is one of my biggest stumbling blocks right now. I do not want to turn away from blindly following one thing to blindly following another. And because I can't find these sources, I remain skeptical, and have a hard time recommending people to these works. I feel like if YY, etc. was footnoted in key places with ample sources given, it would go a long way to ease not only my concerns, but also to silence critics and potential critics.

Though, I must confess, I have not read all of any of the works, so there might be a list somewhere, which is why I ask if there is one.

Assuming there isn't, maybe we could try to do one, as a forum? Or if someone knows a way to get in touch with Yada, maybe you could ask if he can simply send us a list of works used? I feel like this would be a great, and needed, step in the right direction.

Thanks.
Yahuweh is faithful and loving beyond my thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, and petty human notions of what constitutes right and wrong. So high does He soar above all things that I do not even know if proclaiming Him as good is in fact good. It is certainly not adequate. So I am thankful still that He accepts my small sacrifices, my petty praises, that my words reach His mighty ears. Thank you Yahweh. May we all learn what is right in your sight, and not our own.
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:57:09 AM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
I was just wondering if somewhere in YY and TOM/FH the authors have a list of sources used? ...footnotes denoting where certain historical/linguistic, etc. conclusions have been drawn from. This is one of my biggest stumbling blocks right now. I do not want to turn away from blindly following one thing to blindly following another. And because I can't find these sources, I remain skeptical, and have a hard time recommending people to these works.

I can't speak for Yada (YY's author), of course, but my modus operandi (in FH and TOM) is to compel you guys to NOT take my word for anything, but rather do your own research---and your own thinking. So if I'm quoting somebody, I'll list the source in situ, but if its a significant historical tidbit I ran across in my travels (such as Bar Kochba's revolt commencing in a Jubilee year, 133, for example) I'll leave it up to you to confirm my information on your own. That's what Google is there for. Actually, though, there's very little of that sort of thing going on in my books. I explain Hebrew and Greek word meanings all the time, but all of that is based on the standard reference works and lexicons, available to anybody. And if I actually quote a source, I always list it.

All I'm really bringing to the party is whatever insight the Spirit provides to let me explain how these facts (if they are facts) fit the scriptural picture overall. In other words, I'm not just reguritating somebody else's opinions. Frankly, a lot of what I've written (especially in TOM) I've never heard anybody say---and I've been listening hard for a long, long time. But I'm not writing scripture here (though I quote a ton of it). The conclusions are my own. There's nothing to footnote. If you find them helpful, then use them. If not, then don't.

(And if you find my opinions of no value, I'll even give you your money back. Oh, wait---it's all free. I'll let you guys decide whether that means "worthless" or "priceless" :-)

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:44:03 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hehe - its almost like you have said that before Ken :D

Yea YY and FH arn't really "proof" of anything. I believe the idea (kick me if I am wrong KP) is to invoke thought and perspective changing.

That said - they make a lot of sense!

Yada lists the sources he used for YY in the first chapter about 2/3rds of the way down:

http://yadayahweh.com/Yada_Yahweh_Genesis.YHWH

Most of those volumes are available via a piece of software a few people on the forum use called "Logos" - you can find details about it here:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/5480

The scholars library is the starting ground really - anything less and you don't get any of the actual useful books lol. Supposedly you can get it much cheaper via Amazon as well.

It's good to go through and check what Yada is saying - your attitude is right on the money as to say though, Ken and Yada have done an awesome job at exposing lies and illuminating truth, but they are just men and regularly state that fact. We must really test what is being said and draw our own conclusions otherwise we are just following Yada and Ken :)

When I first started looking through YY I had a hard time taking it in, you know coming from Christianity, but it was harder trying to find fault in what was said. There are points I don't agree with the guys on, but thats for me to work out what I do actually thing and what I see Scripture saying.

Once you actually translate it fully though, its pretty obvious what is being said, and their isn't much room to move - as you have already probably found out :)

I will stop waffling now!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Y777  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:11:55 AM(UTC)
Y777

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

I am feeling some definite uneasiness about leaving Christianity behind (which I guess is pretty easy to see). Thus, my wanting to know where all of this info comes from. Plus, I don't want to lead others astray with the wrong things, you know? I want to be really sure. And I also don't want to just use the internet to find evidence to back up yall's claims, but actual credible scholars. Actually, I guess I should say "credible" scholars. Good research, bad conclusions. The narrow path is REALLY, really narrow...

The worst part is that I feel this is all right, I feel that what you guys generally say lines up with scripture, but I don't feel I could adequately defend these claims myself. And as someone who comes from the evangelical/pentecostal/charismatic movement, I am intimately aware with the difference between feeling something is right, and it actually being so.

But basically, I guess I just needed a place to start. So thanks for that. I received a good list of books from James on a different topic of mine, as well as the advice to learn Hebrew. Good in my book.

So, any advice on how to start that? I'm thinking something a little cheaper than the Logos package to start off with (especially since I don't have a computer of my own yet). Something where I could learn biblical Hebrew, the alphabet, some words, pronunciations, some basic grammer and culture. Anything like that out there?

Again, thanks guys. I've learned a lot.
Yahuweh is faithful and loving beyond my thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, and petty human notions of what constitutes right and wrong. So high does He soar above all things that I do not even know if proclaiming Him as good is in fact good. It is certainly not adequate. So I am thankful still that He accepts my small sacrifices, my petty praises, that my words reach His mighty ears. Thank you Yahweh. May we all learn what is right in your sight, and not our own.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:48:04 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Y777 wrote:
So, any advice on how to start that? I'm thinking something a little cheaper than the Logos package to start off with (especially since I don't have a computer of my own yet). Something where I could learn biblical Hebrew, the alphabet, some words, pronunciations, some basic grammer and culture. Anything like that out there?

There are several pretty good books on learning Hebrew that can get you started. I started with Basics of Biblical Hebrew --Pratico, Van Pelt. It cost about $30 at the local Mardel's, and for $20 more they had a work book with exercises. Everything else I used has been in the Logos package, it had several Hebrew grammar books and such. Another idea would be to get a Hebrew-English Interlinear, and a Hebrew-English Dictionary.

The problem with the basic Hebrew books and the H-E dictionaries are that they tend to give simple translations, and usually the one that lines up with what ever there chosen English translation is. The upside of something like Logos it it links you to several in depth lexicons which give much more than simple English translations.

But like I said the Basic books are good for a start, I used them mostly for learning the grammar and pronunciation which is essential to reading Hebrew.

Hope that helps.

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:13:52 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ is a place that J&M recommended me. It has you reading pretty quick tbh - I need to spend some more time there :)
Offline Y777  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:30:05 PM(UTC)
Y777

Awesome! Thanks. I will check those out whenever I next get the chance. Off to teach on Shabuwa to my college group!
Offline danshelper  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:39:02 PM(UTC)
danshelper

Y777,
I agree with the suggestion to begin a list of sources we all might use to confirm what we read here. My most used tool is just the regular old search engine. But I also have bookmarked and regularly use:

- Study Light lexicons: http://www.studylight.org/lex/
- Bible Gateway: http://www.biblegateway.com/
- Biblos study tools: http://biblos.com/
- Sacred Scriptures Family of Yah edition (restores Yahweh's name): http://www.wordofyah.org/scriptures/
- Ancient Hebrew Research Center, including a Word of the Day Archive where I found a great definition of the wonderful word "asher": http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/word/archive.html

Yada's list in the first chapter is overwhelming to me ... I often tell myself I need a cp (common person) version of Yada and KP - including that resource list. I run into frustration when the tools I use to look up a word have a different spelling than what Yada uses, maybe due to vowel pointing? In the beginning, I was so frustrated not being able to confirm that term "Yshayah'el" - God exists as man. I still haven't found it in any study tool, but can't seem to stay too long on any one issue/word - there's so much to read/absorb. You can email Yada at the email@yadayahweh.com address.

I have had little success encouraging Christian friends/family to seriously consider this website. They either don't have the time or don't seem to follow/appreciate the indepth amplifications. And with the soul shaking/grieving that happens when people begin to discover that almost all they thought to be true is false - or a clever counterfeit - these things can just put people over the top. One site that I think does a good job to gently begin the journey is www.hisnameisyahweh.org.

Thanks for beginning this topic. We can all benefit from one another's study habits and tools.
Offline Richard  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:12:15 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Robskiwarrior wrote:
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ is a place that J&M recommended me.

Well, thank you, J&M and Robski! How wonderful it will be to develop the skill needed to read the texts for myself, without the need for a translator! I just knew that searching these older threads would result in blessings!

Richard
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:39:38 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

flintface wrote:
Well, thank you, J&M and Robski! How wonderful it will be to develop the skill needed to read the texts for myself, without the need for a translator! I just knew that searching these older threads would result in blessings!

Richard

I hope you are better at it than me! lol (I forget the alphabet almost as soon as I have learnt it...)