logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Walt  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 6:58:11 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Yada has mentioned numerous time on YY radio the the origins of the Greek word for bible are tied to a sun goddess.
I have been searching on the forum and can't find where it traces the pagan origin of the word "bible" to a sun goddess.

Anyone know where I can find it?

Edited by user Friday, December 4, 2009 11:23:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Walt  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 11:19:03 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

I'm now trying to make a virtual notebook to keep track of all this data
Offline Walt  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 11:26:28 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

Some weird techno think is happenin here - this doesn't shop up with a date posted so it's at the end of the list????
Offline Mike  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 3:01:37 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi Walt,

I found this on Wikipedia:

Ba`alat Gebal
Ba‘alat Gebal, 'Lady of Byblos', was the goddess of the city of Byblos, sometimes known to the Greeks as Baaltis.
She was generally identified with the pan-Semitic goddess ‘Ashtart and so equated with the Greek goddess Aphrodite. However Sanchuniathon equates her with the Greek goddess Dione and presents her as a sister of ‘Ashtart (Aphrodite) and Rhea (who is probably Asherah), all three being wives of El. He says she bore daughters to El and that it was El who gave the city of Byblos to Baaltis who is also called Dione.
Ba‘alat Gebal was distinguished in iconography from ‘Ashtart or other aspects of ‘Ashtart or similar goddesses by two, tall, upright feathers in her headdress.
The temple of Ba‘al Gebal in Byblos was built around 2700 BC. Dedications from Egyptians begin appearing from the 2nd to 6th dynasties. Two of them equate Ba‘alat Gebal with the Egyptian goddess Hathor.

There is a picture of a statue of Ba'alat Gebal in the British Museum here:
http://www.britishmuseum...ure_of_baalat_gebal.aspx
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/b/bronze_figure_of_baalat_gebal.aspx

Shabbat Shalom!
Offline lassie1865  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 3:12:54 PM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Walt,

I think it is here in Book 2: Called out Assemblies - "Yowbel" - The Power of the Lamb":

Fulfilling what was predicted by the prophet: “The scroll (biblion – written
sheet, roll or book) of the prophet (prophetes – inspired forth-teller and foreteller
who reveals the hidden things of God and future events) Yasha’yah (Hesaias –
transliteration of Yasha’yah; from yasha’ and Yah meaning: Yah-Has-Saved;
errantly transliterated: Isaiah in most English Bibles) was delivered to Him. He
unrolled the scroll (biblion – from biblos—the inner bark of the papyrus plant
used to make scrolls for writing), and came upon the place (topos) where it was
written (grapho – delineated on parchment or described on papyrus with pen or
stylus; to express information, convey meaning, and communicate instructions
and directions by the use of alphabetic characters):…” (Luke 4:17)
While the papyrus scroll Yahushua unfurled was called a biblion, the
inspiration on the scroll was “Grapho,”—the Written Word, Scripture—not
Bible. Bible is a moronic transliteration of the Greek word biblos—the papyrus
bark used to make written scrolls, sheets, or books. Turns out, sadly, that biblos is
from Biblia, of the name of the Canaanite sun goddess. The Phoenician town
known for weaving papyrus into scrolls was named in her honor. I am certain that
we have offended Yahuweh by attributing His Scripture to a sun goddess.
Using “Bible” is more than a careless error or simple mistake. Words like
biblion should always be translated. So biblion could be correctly rendered “book
or scroll,” but not bible. Moreover, the operative word in the sentence was
grapho, meaning the Written Word or Scripture. Since only names are
transliterated, when clerics decided to transliterate Biblia into Bible, and not
grapho into graphics, they were specifically referring to the name of the pagan
goddess, not to the word for scroll, because they would have translated it “book.”
Foolishly calling Yahuweh’s Written Word by the thing upon which His words
were written, if just a mistake, would have rendered the Scriptures “book.” But by
transliterating Biblia, the early Roman Catholic priests were unfaithful, not
foolish, misattributing the divinely inspired Word to Satan.
Speaking of names, the English “Isaiah” is a very strange duck.

Lassie1865
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 9:42:14 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
wow Mike that's actually a pretty accurate Wiki item!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Walt  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2009 4:53:46 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

THANKS you 2 - what I was looking for
Offline Providential1611  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:32:12 AM(UTC)
Providential1611

Well Golly gee, there's a "pagan origin" for just about everything when people have the kind of mindset found in this site. But since God confounded the languages in Genesis 11 and in essence. CREATED THEM, we thus learn FROM THE HOLY BIBLE that words and languages came FROM GOD. This thread is a sorry example of the very kinds of paranoid, delusional wives tales and nonsense the Apostle Paul warned us would come from those under the spell of Judaizer error. But praise God that Jesus Christ promised to build His church and the gates of Hell have not prevailed against it, unless one believes all the nonsense In Yada Yahweh and the lies about Paul. In Foxe's Book of Martyrs and other accounts you will find the bloody whore of Revelation 17 killing many of Christ's followeres. These men and women were born again Christians who were known as "people of the book" by Muslims, and it was they who spread the faith and fame of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth. It was they who were being murdered. Rome didn't waste five minutes with the Judaizers, who as always merely tried to proselytize and seduce people won to the Lord by others to their own little cult. Judaizers have never been, and never will be soul-winners because that is not what concerns them, and should they try, the Holy Ghost will not anoint them nor back them for they are in serious error, as Paul, the real Apostle and expounder the the ways of God warned. It is amazing to me that all Paul predicted has come to pass, and those critical of him are doing exactly what he said they would so. Paul was a soul-winner, church planter and martyr for Jesus Christ the Lord. Judaizers are none of these things.
Offline James  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:59:05 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Providential1611 wrote:
Well Golly gee, there's a "pagan origin" for just qabout everything when people have the kind of mindset found in this site. But since God confounded the languages in Genesis 11 and in essence. CREATED THEM, we thus learn FROM THE HOLY BIBLE that Words and languages came FROM GOD. This thread is a sorry example of the very kinds of paranoid, delusional wives tales and nonsense the Apostle Paul warned us would come from those under the spell of judaizer error. But praise God that Jesus Christ promised to build His church and the gates of Hell have no prevailed against it, unless one believes all the nonsense In Yada Yahweh and the lies about Paul. In Foxe's Book of Martyrs and other accounts you will find the bloody whore of Revelation 17 killing many of Christ's followeres. These men and women were born again Christians who were known as "people of the book" by Muslims, and it was they who spread the faith and fame of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth. It was they who were being murdered. Rome didn't waste five minutes with the Judaizers, who as always merely tried to proselytize and seduce people won to the Lord by others to their own little cult. Judaizers have never been, and never will be soul-winners because that is not what concerns them, and should they try, the Holy Ghost will not anoint them nor back them for they are in serious error, as Paul, the real Apostle and expounder the the ways of God warned. It is amazing to me that all Paul predicted has come to pass, and those critical of him are doing exactly what he said you would so. Paul was a soul-winner, church planter and martyr for Jesus Christ the Lord. Judaizers are none of these things.

AND THE AWARD FOR ANTISHEMITE OF THE WEEK GOES TO..........DunDaDaDA.............Providential1611, congratulations, this is one of the most inane posts I have ever read, not once did you come close to any kind of intellectual response or challenge, way to go. Your prize is you are free to continue living in ignorance, separated from the God you hate. Have a nice day and thank you for playing.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:38:51 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Post disappeared when I edited my post, so i thought I would post again.

Offline Providential1611  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:05:46 AM(UTC)
Providential1611

Your post is as entertaining as it is utterly dishonest. There is nothing "anti-shemite" about what I wrote, or in me. Your accusation is utterly false and a pathetic attempt at Ad Hominem, the deceiver's only refuge. The evidence I gave is found in Genesis 11. Apparently, dealing with evidence is not your forte. I am not surprised. Making assertions in a shrill and strident manner is all you have. Words--all of them, came from God ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE. Words are a form of communication for good or evil, depending ON THE HEART of the one using them. I expect such simple logic and facts to escape those of your antagonistic mindset, but perhaps you will surprise me.
Offline Theophilus  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:28:52 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Providential1611 wrote:
Well Golly gee, there's a "pagan origin" for just about everything when people have the kind of mindset found in this site. But since God confounded the languages in Genesis 11 and in essence. CREATED THEM, we thus learn FROM THE HOLY BIBLE that words and languages came FROM GOD. This thread is a sorry example of the very kinds of paranoid, delusional wives tales and nonsense the Apostle Paul warned us would come from those under the spell of Judaizer error. But praise God that Jesus Christ promised to build His church and the gates of Hell have not prevailed against it, unless one believes all the nonsense In Yada Yahweh and the lies about Paul. In Foxe's Book of Martyrs and other accounts you will find the bloody whore of Revelation 17 killing many of Christ's followeres. These men and women were born again Christians who were known as "people of the book" by Muslims, and it was they who spread the faith and fame of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth. It was they who were being murdered. Rome didn't waste five minutes with the Judaizers, who as always merely tried to proselytize and seduce people won to the Lord by others to their own little cult. Judaizers have never been, and never will be soul-winners because that is not what concerns them, and should they try, the Holy Ghost will not anoint them nor back them for they are in serious error, as Paul, the real Apostle and expounder the the ways of God warned. It is amazing to me that all Paul predicted has come to pass, and those critical of him are doing exactly what he said they would so. Paul was a soul-winner, church planter and martyr for Jesus Christ the Lord. Judaizers are none of these things.

Greetings Providential1611,
While I see that you subscribe to a popular understanding of the Genesis 11 events, looking at ancient extra-biblical evidence indicates that like the flood of Noah, the erets - land in view was a limited region, in this case Shinar - Mesopotamia, not a planet wide condition. Specifically a dominant Sumerian people being challenged by neighboring peoples who spoke different languages interrupting their domestic projects and leading some to depart Mesopotamia to seek out new colonies in distant lands. Regardless, when we know the names and words Yahweh choose to refer to Himself and what He values and choose instead to replace these with errant substitutes it defeats the point of your position.
I'm curious as to just what you refer to when you charge others with being Judaizers? If these are people who find Yahuweh's Torah prescriptions as being valid, then you are in conflict with Messiah Yahushua's words on the subject. As a professing born again Christian, I hope that you've spent enough time reading outside of Paul's letters to remember:

Quote:
"Do not (me) assume (nomizo – suppose or acknowledge, following as a custom or tradition) that (hoti) I have come (erchomai – have arrived and appeared) to weaken, dismantle, invalidate, or abolish (kataluso – loosen, tear down, or dissolve, put an end to, do away with, or annul) the Torah/Law (nomos – prescriptions for living, statutes, ordinances, and duties as written and established in Scripture) or the Prophets (prophetes – those who spoke for God). I have not come to do away with (kataluso – invalidate or abolish) it, but instead (alla – on the other hand) to completely fulfill it (pleroo)." (Mattityahu/Matthew 5:17)

"Truly (amein – this is reliable and trustworthy), I say (lego – affirm and convey meaning with these words) to you, till (hoes) heaven (ouranos) and the earth (ges) pass away (parerchomai) not (ou) one (heis) jot (iota – the smallest letter, or yodh in Hebrew) nor tittle (keraia – the top stroke or horn of Hebrew letters) shall be passed by (parerchomai – be ignored or disobeyed, be disregarded) from (apo) that which was established in the Torah/Law (nomos – prescriptions for living, statues, ordinances, and duties as written in Scripture) until the time and place (hoes) it all (pas) happens (ginomai – comes to exist and takes place, is manifest in public in the context of history)." (Mattityahu/Matthew 5:18)

"Therefore (oun) whoever (ean) dismisses (luo – does away with, dissolves, invalidates, or abolishes) the least (elachistos – smallest and least significant) of these commandments (entole – precepts, prescriptions, ordinances, and authoritative directions, from entellomai, things which must be accomplished) or teaches (didasko – indoctrinates or instructs) people (anthropos) to do the same (houto – in like manner), they will be called (kaleo – referred to, designated, labeled, and named) the least important (elachistos – so small as to be insignificant, undignified) in (en) the kingdom (basileia – dominion) of heaven (ouranos). And whoever performs (poieomai – accomplishes and celebrates, practices and profits from) them, and teaches (didasko – instructs) them (houtos), they will be called (kaleo – referred to, designated, labeled and named) the greatest and most important (megas – extraordinary and dignified) in (en) the kingdom (basileia – dominion) of heaven (ouranos)." (Mattityahu/Matthew 5:19)

"Because (gar) I say (lego – profess and promise) to you, that (hopi) unless (ean) righteousness (dikaiosyne – integrity, legal standing, uprightness, and adherence to the relationship) is abundantly superior to (perissseuo – substantially greater than and in excess of) and more appropriate than (pleion) the religious teachers, judges, and high-ranking political officials (grammateus – experts, scribes, and scholars) and Pharisees (Pharisaios – members of a fundamentalist political and religious party comprised of Jews who coveted authority, set rules which others had to abide by, established religious rituals and traditions, and interpreted Scripture to their liking), you will never (ou me) move into or experience (eiserchomai) the realm (basileia – or kingdom) of heaven." (Mattityahu/Matthew 5:20)

So when a self-proclaimed Apostle Paul tells us that the Yahweh's Torah is passé, it puts Paul and Messiah on opposite sides of the matter. So whose word should we trust here?
Another verse that ought to give professing Christians serious and sober contemplation reads:

Quote:
"You must be alert, carefully examine, prosecute, and turn away (prosechete – you should pay close attention, watch out for and beware of, guarding yourself) from false prophets who come to you from within dressed in sheep’s clothing, yet they actually are wolves who are exceptionally self-promoting and self-serving (harpax – vicious carnivorous thieves who secretly and deliberately rob, extort, and snatch away; from harpazo: to violently, forcibly, and eagerly claim and seize for oneself and pluck away)." (Mattityahu/Matthew 7:15)

"Indeed as a result, you will completely know, recognize, and understand (epiginosko – complete and accurate understanding based upon a thorough examination of the evidence) them from their fruit, from their results and harvests. Not all those calling Me "Lord Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but to the contrary, those in heaven are those who do My Father’s will (thelema – do what He decided and proposed [read: who observe Yahweh’s Torah]). Many will say to Me in this specific day, "Lord, Lord, did we not speak inspired utterances and prophesy in Your name and drive out demons in Your name, and perform many mighty miracles in Your name?’ And then at that time, I will profess to them that I never acknowledged, recognized, understood, or associated with them. You all must leave and depart from Me, those who bring about that which is Torah-less (anomia – Lawless)." (Mattityahu/Matthew 7:20-23)

Here Messiah calls into question the value of self professed prophets when they turn people away from Yahweh's Torah and attempt to sever Messiah from the Torah. This also seriously calls into question the value of "winning many souls" when said souls proclaim a false Savior and ignore the Torah Prophets and Psalms through which a soul can know the authentic Messiah.

I truly hope that you’ll seriously consider Messiah’s words but fear that you’re too indoctrinated in religious faith to view His words from a fresh perspective.

Respectfully,

-Theophilus
Offline James  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:33:35 AM(UTC)
James
Man

All righty then, let’s get this party started.
wrote:
Well Golly gee, there's a "pagan origin" for just about everything when people have the kind of mindset found in this site.

Yeah, I have the antagonist mindset.
It doesn’t require any kind of mindset other than that of study and truth to see the Pagan origins of words like bible, lord, jebus, etc or holidays like easter. christmas, lent, etc. These are facts that are simple to find. You have no justification for any of them, other than that is what some translator hundreds of years ago, I don’t know, maybe in 1611, choose, or the Church decided to keep. Spend twenty minutes doing some research and you will find that these are as Pagan as the cross.
wrote:
But since God confounded the languages in Genesis 11 and in essence. CREATED THEM, we thus learn FROM THE HOLY BIBLE that words and languages came FROM GOD.

At best your argument is negated by the fact that most every language in existence today wasn’t in existence at that time. So if you want to say that all the languages created then were created by God then you might have a leg to stand on, but English, Greek, Latin, Spanish, and pretty much every language on the planet today wasn’t spoken then. Hebrew ironically, the language of Yahuweh’s revelation was.
wrote:
This thread is a sorry example of the very kinds of paranoid, delusional wives tales and nonsense the Apostle Paul warned us would come from those under the spell of Judaizer error.

You use judaizer as a derogatory term and wonder why I label you an anti shemite hmm. What is paranoid and delusional exactly about not trusting men who belonged to power hungry religion to give us the truth? Or what about Yahushua’s warning to us in Revelation about the Nicolaitans? What were the Nicokaitans known for? Let’s see they promoted reconciliation between followers of the way, whereby the followers of the way would adopt the pagan practices. What exactly did Yahuweh say to the ecclesia that rejected them and the ecclesia that accepted them? I’ll let you go look that one up.
wrote:
But praise God that Jesus Christ promised to build His church and the gates of Hell have not prevailed against it, unless one believes all the nonsense In Yada Yahweh and the lies about Paul.

Since you know the Truth about Yahushua’s name, and continue to reject the Truth, I’m not going to belittle the argument on your misuse of name. Yahushua never used the word “church” not once not ever, if he had wanted a church he could have used it, he choose ecclesia, and yes the ecclesia has been here since Yahushua, it’s not always been large, in fact just as Yahushua predicted, the way is narrow and unpopular and few have found it.
wrote:
In Foxe's Book of Martyrs and other accounts you will find the bloody whore of Revelation 17 killing many of Christ's followeres. These men and women were born again Christians who were known as "people of the book" by Muslims, and it was they who spread the faith and fame of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth.

Well, I’ve never read that book, but I will say this, so I can’t comment much but to say, if these were followers of the way then they were not Christians, they were not Born Again, and they weren’t spreading the faith and fame of Jebus, if they were followers of the way then they were Chrestusian’s who were Born from Above, and they spread the beneficial message of the Towrah and Yahushua’s fulfillment of it.
wrote:
It was they who were being murdered. Rome didn't waste five minutes with the Judaizers, who as always merely tried to proselytize and seduce people won to the Lord by others to their own little cult. Judaizers have never been, and never will be soul-winners because that is not what concerns them, and should they try, the Holy Ghost will not anoint them nor back them for they are in serious error, as Paul, the real Apostle and expounder the the ways of God warned.

Nice little substance free rant my friend. Not really much I can say about this mainly because there is nothing here other than a bunch of statements with no basis. Personally I could care less what Foxe’s Book of Martrys says, it’s not Scripture, so what it says is irrelevant, and what the people in it did is irrelevant to me. The only relevant thing is what Yahuweh and Yahushua said.
wrote:
It is amazing to me that all Paul predicted has come to pass, and those critical of him are doing exactly what he said they would so.

Most everything Paul “predicted” was prevalent in his own time.
wrote:
Paul was a soul-winner, church planter and martyr for Jesus Christ the Lord. Judaizers are none of these things.

Last I checked we have no record of Paul being martyred, either in Scripture or in historical documents. As for being a church planter, and soul-winner, yeah he did both those; the only real question is who did he win souls too. Anton LeVey was a church planter and a soul-winner, doesn’t mean he was leading souls in the right direction.

wrote:
Your post is as entertaining as it is utterly dishonest.

Well thanks for the compliment; quite frankly humor was the only merit I found in your post. As for dishonest, I only had what you wrote to go by, and like I said when someone uses judaizer in a derogatory sense I think it is safe to say they are a anti shemite. And your post was totally void of a intellectual response or challenge to the topic of the thread, or in general. If you wished to argue that the term bible did not have a pagan origin, you should have provided some evidence that it was not derived from the name of a pagan god, had you done that I would have addressed your evidence. The closest thing to an argument you had was the Genesis verse, which as I have already pointed out was completely illegitimate since Yahuweh had nothing to do with the creation of the languages spoken today.
wrote:
There is nothing "anti-shemite" about what I wrote, or in me.

So did you mean judaizer in a good way, if so I’m sorry the tone of your post made it come across as derogatory.
wrote:
Your accusation is utterly false and a pathetic attempt at Ad Hominem, the deceiver's only refuge.

No it was an attempt at having fun at your expense. You drivel was so inane, that it really didn’t justify a response, unfortunately for me I have a hard time letting such drivel go unanswered, so alas here I am wasting my time responding to you.
Oh yeah, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t your calling us Judaizer Ad Hominem attacking us? I think so.
wrote:
The evidence I gave is found in Genesis 11.

Which was completely inane for the reasons I have already pointed out.
wrote:
Apparently, dealing with evidence is not your forte.

Apparently you haven’t read anything else I have posted, I love addressing evidence, it’s just your evidence was so self explanatory I figured most wouldn’t need my help, and since my response to you is not for you, I know it will fall on deaf ears, it’s for others reading it, I didn’t address it then.
Now why don’t you turn the mirror back on you? There is a ton of evidence in this thread for the pagan origins of bible, why don’t you address that or any of the evidence presented in Yada Yahweh for that matter. Fact of the matter is your post didn’t address a single piece of evidence presented anywhere, it was just a rant about how we are wrong and we are judaizers, and your right.
wrote:
I am not surprised. Making assertions in a shrill and strident manner is all you have.

Are we talking about you here, because that is a pretty accurate description of every post you have put up so far.
Quote:
Words--all of them, came from God ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE.

Nice assertion made in a shrill and strident manner, too bad it’s not true.
wrote:
Words are a form of communication for good or evil,

Hey we agree on something.
wrote:
depending ON THE HEART of the one using them.

Spoke to soon. Personally I don’t give a damn what your heart thinks, or my heart for that matter. The only thing that really matters is Yahuweh’s Word.
wrote:
I expect such simple logic and facts to escape those of your antagonistic mindset, but perhaps you will surprise me.

There is no logic to the heart, it is all emotional.
I love you saying I have an antagonist mindset, you are the one who came to this forum, didn’t take the time to read any of Yada Yahweh, didn’t take the time to consider an of the evidence, didn’t bother to address any of the points made, you just come here call us names, say we are wrong and you are right without giving reason.
If I come across as sarcastic and annoyed, it’s because I have dealt with too many people just like you, and wasted too much of my time.
Now, why don’t you take the time to address the evidence and make a logical argument providing evidence against it.

Offline Providential1611  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:20:40 PM(UTC)
Providential1611

I wrote a long response to you James, and "poof". It is gone. I have no intererst in another hour of typing to re-do it. I should have did it in WORD and pasted it. Sigh.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:00:18 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yea the forums need burning for that... where is my wooden stake.... ;)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Mike  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:58:39 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Welcome to the forum P1611.

BTW, I always type in Word first and then cut and paste to the forum.
Offline Royce  
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:30:43 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

I like this dude James